Bugs in Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by City Cajun, Aug 12, 2011.

1. City Cajun

City Cajun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    This morning I discovered a 5 gal. bucket I had feed in(closed with a lid)about one third filled has bugs(look likw weavils)in it. Is it ok to feed this to the chickens or should I throw it away? They usually eat bugs anyway so does it matter?

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    It is OK to feed to the birds, but the weevils will quickly destroy a container of food. This is one of the things that DE is very effective at controlling and adding some (2%) to your feed will wipe them out quickly or prevent them developing after hatching and getting established. Have been there and done that so to speak and most feed you buy already has weevil eggs in it and when it sits a long time before you buy it or use it up they hatch....

If you find them in a new bag of feed I would return it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. City Cajun

Aug 6, 2011
    What is DE?

4. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    DE is diatomaceous earth. If you put it in your chicken feed it needs to be food grade DE. There is a certain amount you are supposed to use per lb of feed.

5. City Cajun

Aug 6, 2011
    DE Of course! I should have guessed that. I was just looking into DE last week but, not for the feed. Thanks!!!

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    or you could just stick the feed in the freezer over night and that should kill all the bugs. Dont take the buugs out though, the chickens like them!!!
    [​IMG]

7. City Cajun

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks! Fortunately it's not my main feed container. It was a bucket I of feed I was using when they were still in the brooder box I built for them. Maybe 2 gals. of feed affected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by