1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bugs In Feed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by The Little Country Farm, Nov 20, 2011.

1. The Little Country Farm

The Little Country Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Hi, I recently bought a bag of feed for my pot belly pig from our local TSC and opened it up and there was tons of little beetles in it! [​IMG] I haven't used it but I'm wondering if it would hurt her or not? Thanks in advance! Mandi

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Take it to the store and shoes them. You need a refund.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah, Return it. No telling how they have effected the nutrition of the feed, and beetles do poop.

Imp

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I had a fee store tell me that the bugs where already in the food when it was harvested but it was just eggs then and give the right conditions and can hatch in the food after it has been sent to the store or at home. They told me to put it in the frezzer and it would be fine and they could still eat it. I told them no and they replaced it. But im never getting food from there again for any of my animals.

5. The Little Country Farm

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Ok thanks everyone! I'll try to see if they'll take it back.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Bugs in feed? Not OK!
    Who knows what kinds of bugs they are?

7. The Little Country Farm

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Not sure what kinda bugs they were? They were some kinda beetle I think. The bag was FULL of them! They took the bag back and gave me store credit which I bought some chick waterers with. So all is good but I will NOT be buying anymore feed from there. I don't guess enough people buy feed from them to keep stock of fresh feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by