Bugs in feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bstone026, Aug 1, 2013.

1. bstone026

bstone026 New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    Ok, I've got some just opened chick starter and I have noticed what appears to be some type of small black bug's in the feed itself. I am wanting to know what might the ant size bugs be and are they harming the feed. Thanks

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I would return it!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    100 times over!!! Ditto! If it has bugs in it, it's old feed, therefore lacking in nutrition, not to mention the yuck factor. Feed stores need to be accountable and provide decent feed.

4. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually....they are most likely weevils. Theyre harmless unles sit is absolutely infested. Chickens eat bugs....
    Theyre the same bugs youll sometimes find in pantry products. Getting it from a feed mill, it sometimes happens. You can drop a bowl of dry ice in the feed bin & it will kill them. Keepng it in the freezer is also a good way to eliminate them.

5. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I have corn meal, two bags, that are infested with three different types of bugs. I only saw the small black ones but my husband said small flea looking bugs and grey mite looking bugs were all over my car.... Ew! But I'm feeding to to them. Not worth going back to the store in my opinion. They are gonna hear about it though.

6. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I would mention it to my supplyer but if they found those bugs in the yard they would eat them.

7. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I had a bag of scratch that had weevils in it. Felt like, "oh no, it's bad!" so I dumped in the compost pile. The girls ate it. Now, when I first open the bag, I put in some DE. I keep it in a tote w/ a lid, so then I spray sevin on the floor around the tote. Still see one, once in awhile, but I'm not hauling it all the way back to the store unless it's really bad.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chickens love bugs. To them they're Meat Group. What's nasty to us is gourmet to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by