1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bugs in Flockraiser - normal??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momofthree, Jun 22, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    I just switched over from from chick starter to FL and i bought my first bag.......i noticed when i was watching my husband pour it into the feeder that all these little black buggy things were crawling up the sides of the feeder and when i looked closer, they were crawling around inside the feed also.......i looked into the buckets we were filling with the rest of the feed and sure 'nuff, the bugs were in there also...... is this normal????

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    NO !! I have only had bugs in 1 bag of food in 8 years !!!!

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Nope....Means the feed store isnt storing feed properly. Take it back and they will exchange it or give you a refund.

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Hmmm. Was that a Purina Mills product?? I just returned a 50# bag of chick starter to our local TSC because it was full of those black beetles, as well as the larvae! The wondrously intelligent TSC man said, "Oh, your chicks will love to eat those bugs." [​IMG] I said, "No, thanks - they only eat home-grown bugs." Get your money back on that bad flock raiser!

5. momofthree

momofthree Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    it's a bit too late for me to take it back, it is already dumped in my feeder and into buckets for storage........can they still eat it? (they ate it all last evening and night)..... i will definitely call them.......... bummer because this is the only place that carries FL.

6. momofthree

momofthree Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    yes, it is a Purina Mills product............

7. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I personally wouldn't feed it - it could be moldy. That could be why the bugs are loving it so much. Take your receipt and a cupful of those bugs and tell them you disposed of it - weren't going to be that nastiness back in your car. Have them open up another bag for you.

8. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    sorry - doubled it!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  9. myway57

myway57 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    blanchard La.
    I stopped buying feed from TSC. there feed is always old. I am lucky to have a Purina Mills location near by. [​IMG]

10. momofthree

momofthree Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    ok, i didn't think of that. i might bring a bucket that has a lid on it to take to them to show them.......... i know they store their big sacks of feed outside......is that the norm? sorry for all the questions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: