Bugs in the Feed

peep-a-boo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Dripping Springs, TX
I'm a new chicken owner and have had my chicks for over a couple of months now. The 1st bag of feed I got was from TSC. When that ran out, I wanted to get organic feed, which required me to go somewhere else. The feed was stored at a warehouse and the clerk loaded it in my car for me. It sat in my car for a couple of days. I was mortified when I got the bag out and found little black bugs all over it and in it! When I called the feed store, they assured me it was perfectly normal. The colder weather should take care of them. Well, it's been warm. It's been a few weeks now and it looks like the bugs have multiplied. I also found them in the coop when I was cleaning it today. I thought the chick were suppose to take of them! Is this normal for organic feed? It's just gross and I feel like I'm feeding my chicks dirty food.

It is not normal to have bugs in the feed.

It isn't harmful, except for the fact that the bugs (I assume they are eating the feed) will eat all the nutrition out of the feed, so that by the time the chickens get it, it is less nutrition than should be.

Also, I wouldn't want bugs in my garage where I store the feed.

If I ever noted buggy feed that was new, I'd return it immediately unless I could use it up super fast. But I don't have THAT many chickens LOL. Some on here have feed bills over $1000 a month I am pretty sure.

Agreed, the bugs will affect the quality and nutritional value of the food. Obviously they don't care about the quality of their products. Find another feed store that does - organic or not.

I emptied the bag into a storage container outside. They give me the heeby-geebies.

Yeah, I didn't think it was normal either. Lurking in BYC for sometime now, I don't recall other members mentioning buggy feed as normal. I have found another feed store that sells organic feed. I wish my small flock would hurry up and finish it already.

I agree with the previous posters with the exception of heavily infested feed would go nowhere except back to the store or the garbage. Some bugs are harmful/toxic and remember bugs excrete waste just like other creatures.

Imp- the feedstore guy lied

Back
Top Bottom