Bugs Muscovys LOVE?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by H04, Aug 11, 2010.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I know they love roaches and flies along with ticks however what about fleas?

Also are their plants they should not have access too?

We have timber bamboo growing in our backyard and was wondering if they would eat that?

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    In my experience, a Muscovy will only eat two kinds of insects:

Living or Dead!

If your insect is alive or dead, then a Muscovy will eat it.

As for timber bamboo, don't know. Is it poisonious to other animals? Anything that would harm chickens may harm Muscovy ducks.

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:LOL!! agreed!! Although my girl does look past the really tiny insects - god she's picky [​IMG]

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    You are right on there! I have around 30 and they eat all!
    Quote:

5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Mine eat any bug they can find. I think they like slugs and grubs more just because they are bigger than the bugs. They will even eat small frogs. They chase each other around to try to steal the frog from each other. In the process, they usually rip it apart which lets a few of them get a piece.

6. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:[​IMG] I love it, only ones that are dead and alive! [​IMG]

I havent come across a bug that my scovies will not eat, they have pretty much wiped out all the bugs on my property! I have never seen them eat a centepede, though I have tried to give it to them, but the chickens quickly take hold of it, and the whole flock goes chasing after the lucky chicken with the centepede.

7. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Mine doesn't really care for ants. She watches them on the ground but doesn't peck at them. I think she must not like how they taste because as much interest as she has in them she won't eat them.

Not sure if bamboo is ok for them. The only thing I know to keep away is avocado. Anyone? I'm curious too

8. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    i know bamboo wouldn't harm them as it is a grass i just wasn't sure if they would chomp on big fat stalks . OOOH I was not aware about avocado however I know it is said to be toxic to parrots ( we have one) .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by