Bugs on cockerel being plucked

javotte

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hi!

My cockerel, albeit a gorgeous singer and bird, was very aggressive and unfortunately is about to hit the pot.

1) While plucking him, I noticed lots of little bugs (very small, oval, brownish) crawling on his skin. Is it normal or is it a sign of red mites or anything else? No bruise, rash or burrowing...
2) Also any tip on how to make plucking easier (especially wings)...
3) Finally I plucked, emptied etc in the space of 2 hours while still warm, should he have been left hanging for 24 hours?

He was still a very yong cockerel without the back claws (I think 4 months), raised organically with coop moved regularly with bedding made of woodshaving mixed with garlic and straw.

Probably silly questions but it was a first experience to me...

Thankx for your help,
Natalie

It sounds like he had bird lice. It's to be expected, especially if your birds are free-ranging or their pen is being moved about. Bird lice can become a problem if the population gets too great. DE keeps most of your bug problems in check and (I could be wrong about this) I believe it is considered an organic method of bug control since it is naturally occurring and not harmful to animals or people.

I can't answer your other two questions. Sorry. I'm not tough enough to actually be able to butcher my animals. Too squeamish.
sad.png

It's either mites or lice, either of which can kill birds.

You can dust all of your birds with Sevin powder, then clean out the coop and dust in the areas they roost and dustbathe.

Thereafter you can use DE as a preventative measure.

The best place to post your second question is in the meat birds forum.

Renee

Back
Top Bottom