Bugs on new rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aubreynoramarie, Jan 16, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i just brought home my first roo. hes a very small silkie and is going through a molt. He was lookin kind of sorry when i brought him home, so i took him upstairs to bathe him.

i checked his baldy spots and he seemed fine, checked his wing, fine...but his neck had little light brown bugs on it. they had small heads and long wide bodies. they were running up to his head. so i put his neck and head under the pouring spout (no not his eyes or his mouth) and let the water run on him for about a minute. i know i drowned alot of them, and when i checked him after the blow dry i couldnt find anymore. im not nieve enough to think i got them all though. my question is since i took him upstairs to bathe him, is there any risk of these bugs infesting my room or my dog or cats? also, i think i may have seen one of these bugs on one of my ladies before, should i be worried?

thanks alot

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I think you may have poultry lice but without seeing them I cant say for sure... by chance is there any bodies in the tub you can take a picture of?

MOST.. (not all) bugs cant go back and forth between poultry and cats or dogs... they will die off...

keep the rooster in isolation for a few weeks to quarantine him keep checking for bugs... there may be unhatched eggs or the live ones may have crawled into the crevices for shelter

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    no i didnt think to save a bug, but i will do a quick search on poultry lice and tell you if thats what it was

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i think it may be chicken head lice. so what do i do from here?

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    where ever you buy your feed they should have a powder to put on the chicken.. be careful though wear a mask and gloves...

I dusted a few silkies 2 years ago and didnt wear a mask and ended up in hospital with pneumonia for 3 days.... on the + side... I quit smoking...LOL

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:lol thanks for the advice, and congrats on the smoking!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I do horribly with any of the powders, so I like Adams Flea/Tick spray. Whatever you use though, you will need to retreat in 10 days just in case any lice eggs hatched.

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:perfect info [​IMG]

9. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by