Bugs

True. I think the main thing is flies right now, and I am worried about ants, because they are all around the coop, but haven’t made it in yet.

Ive noticed the ducks (or their poo, rather) have brought a lot more flies to my place. I’ve more or less made peace with them, but I suppose you could build some web-sites to encourage the spiders to build webs to catch some flies! Use some small pieces of wood or some sticks to make an octagon shape And hang them up or stake them in the ground near the places where you want to catch flies. For the ants, maybe build some lizard habitats. For that matter, the lizards will help with the flies too! Use logs or brick blocks along a fence or someplace where they can hide in the corners and nooks. Also lots of low bushy plants and shrubs!

So far, I do not have a bug problem. I have an elevated coop (built on an old boat trailer frame) and no ants. I use a dry deep litter bedding with wood chips and the chicken poo gets turned into the litter, so I don't have any fly problem. No spiders yet, but the coop has only been up for 2 months. If/when I see spiders, I think I will just use a broom to sweep up the cobwebs. Our state bird is the mosquito and they are everywhere outside, but not so much in the coop. I suspect everyone's location plays a big part in bug control.

Ive noticed the ducks (or their poo, rather) have brought a lot more flies to my place. I’ve more or less made peace with them, but I suppose you could build some web-sites to encourage the spiders to build webs to catch some flies! Use some small pieces of wood or some sticks to make an octagon shape And hang them up or stake them in the ground near the places where you want to catch flies. For the ants, maybe build some lizard habitats. For that matter, the lizards will help with the flies too! Use logs or brick blocks along a fence or someplace where they can hide in the corners and nooks. Also lots of low bushy plants and shrubs!
Great ideas! My cat will like having more lizards around too, I may have the whole circle of life happening in my yard, lol. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom