build a coop? or kit?

drobbins_pdr

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Hi All! I'm new to chickens so I'm doing some research before taking the plunge. I have a barn on my property and had thought to build some kind of chicken coop inside it but I can't figure out how I would be able to clean it easily. It has a concrete floor. So I thought I'd build a coop in the yard. Then I saw some pre-made coops that have wheels so you can move them about. I could then wheel it into the barn in the winter? Any thoughts on this? Any insight you can provide will help. Thanks

I plan to start with 4. My sister in law has 3 kids that we would like to teach and learn about chickens and eggs. I think I would like the white leghorn ones to start. They seem to be not so fancy but will produce eggs for eating.

I think that kits are good for people that are not handy with tools. One of the biggest mistakes I think that is made in Newbies is that they build a coop to small the first time.
Once you get your first chicks it almost becomes and addiction and you NEED more. I think that the barn you have could easily convert to a coop with lots of aways you can easily clean it.

BYC has lots of members that are all egar to help and give Great Ideas. Post some photo's of the Barn and I am sure we can give you some Great Ideas. Besides I love to spend someone elses money.LOL

Ray

Ok, I'm going outside now and take some pictures. I'll post them so you all can tell me how I can use the barn. My husband can build me what ever I tell him I need.. but I have to be able to tell him. I would really like to use the barn anyway. Also, we have alot of hawks, fox, cayote etc. especially in the summer. So I will need to fence in some kind of run so they don't get eaten. I'll be back in a minute or so.

Ok here is a picture of the barn. The concerns I have are: lots of small spaces that critters can get in.
Height of window from the floor/ground.
I don''t want the chickens to have the run of the entire barn.
Warmth in the winter?
Area outside to run about in. There is very little shade in the afternoon to the front of the barn.

And here is a picture from the inside. The double doors on the window seem handy and the floor is concrete.

Back
Top Bottom