Build a coop to show poultry in

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SundownWaterfowl, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Im thinking about entering a chicken or two in a show on Sept. 28th. I dont have a poultry cage to show in. Is there a way to make one. It would need to be big enough for a standard sized hen, brahma to be specific. I cant find any plans.
    Do they sell them at Tractor Supply?

2. blackred

blackred Songster

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Are you talking about a coop to show your birds in at the show? If so then you should know that the Show provides them.

If you are talking about a coop to condition and train(tame) your bird in then I would allow a minimum of 24x24x24. Make sure to use no larger than 1"x2" wire or it could damage the feathers.

Bob

3. Quote:The show does not provide them. They said right in the show handbook, "You must provide your own cooping".

I have a cage that was a little bent. I unbent it, and it looks like I could use that. Ill try to take some pictures tomorrow to show you.

4. blackred

blackred Songster

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Never heard that one before. I suppose it is a small county fair that doesn't own coops. Have fun!

Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: