Build in a day for FREE!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BigZ, Apr 27, 2011.

1. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    I just built this coop from old scrap lumber and pallets that were given to me. %100 FREE. It will house 6 Hens when they are ready to go outdoors. I thought I would have to spend some money for sure. I already put my lamps and 5 week olds in it to get used to it. Much more room then the old space. [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Beautiful!!

3. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    Thank You. [​IMG]

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    It Looks Great! I'm impressed!!! [​IMG] I just picked up a free pallet at the lumber co. yesterday it's 3 1/2' w x 7 1/2' L x 5'9"H with a 1/2" OSB floor. The salesmen said lol if I could load it - I could have it [​IMG] Well I'm a 5'2 lady and I was determind so I got it in my truck by myself [​IMG] My DH couldn't believe I got it loaded when he helped me unload the heavy house. My back is still paying for it today and I spent a lot of time today cutting and removing staples from the boards [​IMG] but, I got the rafters up and my DH got a free 1/2" 4x8 OSB for top. We have most of material to finish it. So we will have two new coops and this one will help off-set the $ spent on lumber for the 'Palace' LOL

5. Garrison

Garrison Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Nice work, how do you get the eggs and clean it? Does it have doors?

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    That is beautiful!!

We started on ours today and I wish I could say that it will be FREE, but that is NOT going to be so. It will be a little less than expected I hope because we have some OSB boards and other materials lying around that we can re-cycle. If I could have gotten my dh to tear down our son's old tree house, then we probably would not have had to pay for anything other than screws and fence for the run.

7. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    If all you have is staples you will be alright. I had to pass on using a couple pallets cause they had twisted nails in them. The boards would just break when trying to pry them off.

8. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    The roof is hinged. It also has some bamboo stapled to the roof.

9. Garrison

Garrison Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:Just a thought, you may want to add a little trap door on the bottom or one on the sides to sweep litter out into a wheel barrow or bucket. Will probably make life a little more pleasant for you and your birds.

10. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    what are the dimensions?

Nice work! i have a pile of lumbe left over from my renos, but I will have to buy hardware cloth [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by