1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Build your own BATOR question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grizz78, Apr 8, 2009.

1. grizz78

grizz78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    I have been reading most of the posts on how to build your own incubator. It has been very helpful to say the least. Any how I have one built and in the process of getting it regulated. It is approximately 20" square by 20" high. I mounted a CPU fan in it and added a small night light wired direct so the temps would not drop too much when the thermostat shut the other light down. The other light is 60 watt and over night the temps only got to 90 degrees. Should I replace the small night light with another 60 watt bulb? I watched it for some time and did not see the thermostat shut off the main bulb.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    What's your bator made of? It sounds like you're losing a lot of heat somewhere. My homemade bator is styrofoam and it's keeping temps with a 25 watt bulb.

I also put a "heat sink" in mine. I sealed hot water in Tupperware containers (I didn't want it to add to the humidity) and put them under the wire bottom - it helps keep the temps stable when the light goes on and off.

3. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

i got one built 16 x 16 x16 and i have 2 60 watt bulbs in it. both of them are on the thermostat.

4. grizz78

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    Mine is 3/4" plywood. There are a few small cracks that I can see but did not want to plug them for ventilation. It sounds like I may have a couple options add another bulb and leave the cracks or fill all cracks and see if that gets it there. I am just looking for the best way without having too much heat or too little ventialtion.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    What about running some insulation inside? I've seen ones where they use that silvery insulation that looks like bubble wrap for spaceships... [​IMG]

6. grizz78

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    That is what I am looking for is the best way to get there without making a lot of changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by