Building 2-tiered Nests

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
My dad and I are working on the design for our chicken coop and are trying to figure out how to build the nests. We never got the nests in the first coop off the ground, so we haven't quite done this part before.
smile.png

We're using a 14"HX14"WX12"D nest size, four nests wide, two high (eight total). In our chicken book it says to raise nests 18-20" off the ground - will raising it so that the first level is 24" up be too high? We'd like for them to be able to use the space beneath the nests and need to accommodate for bedding depths. Although, if the bedding is 6 or more inches deep, then the nests will only be 18 inches and less from the actual "floor" - that will work, correct?

Also, how to build the rails in front of the nests.... Will chickens walk down (from side to side) of a 2x2? And, with 2 tiers, if we build the bottom rail farther out than the upper one, so that the chickens can hop from the first to the second level, how much father out should the first one be than the second? A foot? Or will less than that work?

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
We're using a 14"HX14"WX12"D nest size, four nests wide, two high (eight total). In our chicken book it says to raise nests 18-20" off the ground - will raising it so that the first level is 24" up be too high? We'd like for them to be able to use the space beneath the nests and need to accommodate for bedding depths. Although, if the bedding is 6 or more inches deep, then the nests will only be 18 inches and less from the actual "floor" - that will work, correct?
Not a problem at all. My nests are mounted a good 3ft 6in off the ground, and I don't have a single chicken that has any problem getting up there. I have some silkies in the brooder that will be joining the flock in a few weeks, and I've added a ladder for their use. 2 feet should not be an issue.

Also, how to build the rails in front of the nests.... Will chickens walk down (from side to side) of a 2x2?
Chickens will walk down anything they can get their feet on. Yes, they will walk back and forth on a a 2x2.

And, with 2 tiers, if we build the bottom rail farther out than the upper one, so that the chickens can hop from the first to the second level, how much father out should the first one be than the second? A foot? Or will less than that work?
A foot out is fine, but they should be able to jump from the ground to the second level. You can also offer stairs up to the second level.

Congrats on the new coop, and good luck! Looking forward to seeing pictures when it's done!

I have four nest boxes stacked one ontop of the other. My girls have no problem getting in them. There is a roost near the top one but they use of all of them. I have silkies and they can get up to all of them also.

Do you think heavy breeds will have trouble getting up? Like Orpingtons or Australorps?

Thank you guys SO much - that is very helpful.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom