Building 2nd coop, need help on ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 15shenyl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Im getting new chicks in a few months and I need to build a second coop to house the new chickens until there old enough to go with the Faverolles. I'm getting around 10. Around our area we have A Lot of apples which means A Lot of old apple bins that orchardists say as free wood. We take this to our advantages(this is for FFA remind you and Im on a budget and need to save money in every way possible), I converted it to hold the chicks in until they could go out to the coop, than I put deviders and flipped it on to the side to make nesting boxes. Another one is one they can jump on and go inside, and one turned into there roost. I would like to use more of the bins to build the new coop, the other one is a old storage shed I converted into a coop. I don't know how big I should build it. I was thinking to make it to where the chickens can choose to what coop they could sleep in at night. The new one will also have a run with maybe 2-4 nesting boxes. I don't want it as big as the one I have now but so it still works to where I can still get the eggs and put food and water in. I just need some ideas on what I should do and as cheep as possible but still look good in the back yard so it won't look like a dump back there. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

2. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, sorry no responses, and I'm not going to be much help, except to suggest that you look at some of the coop threads of what other people have done. I can't quite picture what the apple bins look like. But you might do a search in this forum on 'pallet coops'. That might be similar to what you are trying to do.

Sorry I'm not more help.

3. Tauris75

Tauris75 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    My coop was made out of scraps of wood lying around here (live on boarding school grounds) and when it was finished it looked shabby with heaps of different coloured wood, I found a lick of paint made a huge difference.

4. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I think it would be fun to paint a coop.
    How big should I make the new coop. I think I will have around 10-12 new chickens. I don't let my new chickens to free range until there about 2 or 3 months, maybe more, just depends, but they will be out as soon as there old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by