building a brooder - how big?

UGAchick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Riverside, CA
I raised my first sets of chicks in a huge rubbermaid container, but now I have 25 LF chicks on the way, so I am looking to build something more permanent. For 25 chicks how big should it be? I have room in the coop and they can go as soon as they are ready, but I expect that they will be in the brooder for several weeks first.

I have been looking at brooder examples on here and some are really great! I got the idea to use a cabinet, which I am sure I can find at our Habitat ReStore, but I am not sure if that will be big enough. I also really want to brood them outside, as we don't have a good place inside, short of the kitchen table! I can keep them on the other side of the fence as the dog, but out of eyesight (no chickens allowed here). Has anyone ever brooded outside without a momma?

Here is my brooder box for outside:

52004_brooder_box.jpg

It has all modern conveniences.Lamp for heat,room for 20-30 chicks for up to 4 weeks,and a look-at-me hole for us curious ones with little children.

Beautiful! Do you know the dimensions? I also wonder about the materials here. I live in GA and it is still hot. Perhaps I need to add some more ventilation.

Yes, my daughter is curious, but not as curious as I am!! I need the peep hole!

Mine is 2' x 4' long x 18" high.The legs are 18" high.Old pallets,and a 1/2" exterior ply board roof and sides.Heat is good for them.natural heat,just make sure its in a shady spot.

Georgia,South Carolina..same temps.You could by a small fan at walmart for 6 bucks.then screw it in there.That will take care of any heat.

I didn't see that you are in SC! Yes, same temps I would imagine!

I will search out a shady spot and start building tomorrow.

Don't think Lowe's is open at 4 am
smile.png

No but you could make a run behind the stores and find some pallets at 4 am
really officer - it's for my chicks! No Chickens.....lol

Actually, most places will give you the pallets if you ask.
Caroline

I have a place that I get mine from.I am in the middle of building a new coop and run from pallets.The old one will be for meaties of turkeys.

Quote:
that doesnt look like it has any ventelation other than that window

I have a fan in there for air.It was fine enough and temps did exceed either

Back
Top Bottom