Building a Candling Mechanism?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ContessaKris, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I'm wanting to build something so I can candle my incubating eggs. I saw on the how tos page they showed a can light. I don't have one of those. Is there another way, something from around the house I can use? Can I just hold it up to a flashlight or something? Any suggestions on what to use would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    lemme tell ya what I did.. I bought a LED flashlight with like 20 little bulbs in it. (LED is cool light). Then I got one of those foam beer can cooler things. Know what I am talking about? I cut a larger hole in the bottom of it to place the egg on. I turn out the lights, turn on the flashlight and hold it inside the beer can cooler and place the egg on the hole I cut in the bottom. lol... necessity is the mother of invention.

3. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    yes you can just hold a bright flash light up to the egg depening on the egg colour white -see lots
    deep dark brown -nothing it very simple to candle as long as you have a dark room and a light a little smaller then the egg i use a flash light or a spot light with a piece of card over with a whole cut out in the old days they actully used candles

4. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I did something similar [​IMG]. I took a regular little table light stand from the living room, a trader joe coffee can-cut a hole through the bottom of the can, took the lightbulb out, put the can over the light bulb area and replaced the bulb to hold the can in place. Then I took a peice of cardboard and tape it to the top of the can where the lid would go, and cut a hole in the middle just big enough to lay an egg on it without slipping through, and found a peice of cloth to put around the hole so it blocked any light coming through except through the egg. It worked really well and afterwards I just returned the light back to the desk. At first I used the coffee can lid but it was plastic and started to melt from the heat of the bulb...guess I better get it out again, just set eggs to hatch again [​IMG]

5. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I just use a LED flashlite and make a circle shaped cup with my fingers. It works well and I can see everything. I have seen some videos on youtube using a small table like lamp, a wet paper towel and a terracotta pot with a hole in the bottom. Looked cool and worked but for me it is gonna stay the LED maglite [​IMG]

6. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Yes, I was worried about the heat from a lamp as well. An LED light makes sense. I'll have to look around and see if I have an LED flashlight. No beer cozie though. Good ideas everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by