building a chicken coop 24' x 300'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken charles, Sep 3, 2014.

1. chicken charles

chicken charles New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Hello all, i would like some information on the amount of ventilation fans that will be required to add suffient ventilation for 2000 chickens. Location Benton Harbor Michigan........any and all information will be greatly appreaciated.

THANKS

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Welcome to BYC. Wow, that's a big coop and a lot of chickens! I would make the 300' side so the upper walls are hinged where it meets the roof so it can be opened so in good weather you have an open air barn. You would have solid walls for the first 4 feet, and then the upper 4 feet swings open. You would need to have the upper section fenced in with hardware wire to keep other animals out of the barn.

Check local laws on having that many chickens. I know in CT, if you have over 200 birds, you are subject to state inspections, and over 3000 puts you in USDA regulations.

3. chicken charles

chicken charles New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I will strongly consider doing that at designated sections......thank you much !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by