1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Building a Chicken Feeder on the Cheap

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JohnL11935, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    You can build it even cheaper. Go to a deli or a grocery store that has a deli and ask for a free bucket. I have my choice of two sizes at my local grocery, 2 gallon and 4 gallon free food grade plastic buckets with lid. The lid has an o-ring that makes it water tight.

2. lavacaw

lavacaw Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Great idea! Think I will try one with my rabbits to see how it works for them![​IMG]

3. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Songster

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    GREAT link Thanx [​IMG]

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Oh I like that with the relish tray! Might have to try that!!

5. awtandrocks

awtandrocks In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I saw this somewhere before and I just got the buckets for free from my local Winn-Dixi and will be making a feeder and waterer based on this design.

Great Stuff [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  6. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Songster

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I love that idea! I'll be trying it very soon.

7. poltroon

poltroon Songster

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Cool! I have buckets like that already. I'm not sure where to find relish trays like that, though. Any thoughts?

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have only a few chickens.... 5 gallon bucket is way too much. But after having seen this post yesterday I realized today at work that I can use one of those big plastic ice cream buckets (stff brought in ice cream.....empty bucket was going to be thrown out.....not!). Anyway, it holds like 5 qt and has a lid and handle. I have big plastic "saucers" for flower pots, will use one of those and ....voila....small bucket feeder....free [​IMG]

9. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Quote:You can try the Dollar Tree or some other Dollar store, I see them there alot.

I think that its a great idea. I currently have a metal feeder the birds get in it all the time. I am going to try this one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by