1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building a Chicken Feeder on the Cheap

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JohnL11935, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can build it even cheaper. Go to a deli or a grocery store that has a deli and ask for a free bucket. I have my choice of two sizes at my local grocery, 2 gallon and 4 gallon free food grade plastic buckets with lid. The lid has an o-ring that makes it water tight.

3. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Great idea! Think I will try one with my rabbits to see how it works for them![​IMG]

4. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    GREAT link Thanx [​IMG]

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Oh I like that with the relish tray! Might have to try that!!

6. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I saw this somewhere before and I just got the buckets for free from my local Winn-Dixi and will be making a feeder and waterer based on this design.

Great Stuff [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I love that idea! I'll be trying it very soon.

8. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Cool! I have buckets like that already. I'm not sure where to find relish trays like that, though. Any thoughts?

9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have only a few chickens.... 5 gallon bucket is way too much. But after having seen this post yesterday I realized today at work that I can use one of those big plastic ice cream buckets (stff brought in ice cream.....empty bucket was going to be thrown out.....not!). Anyway, it holds like 5 qt and has a lid and handle. I have big plastic "saucers" for flower pots, will use one of those and ....voila....small bucket feeder....free [​IMG]

10. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Quote:You can try the Dollar Tree or some other Dollar store, I see them there alot.

I think that its a great idea. I currently have a metal feeder the birds get in it all the time. I am going to try this one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by