building a chicken plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by whisperinghopef, Dec 24, 2013.

1. whisperinghopef

whisperinghopef Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I know there is a thread on someone building a chicken plucker but I am not that handy but can use tools. What I am interested in is the simplest, easiest, cheapest way to make a chicken plucker with a 55 gallon barrel. At the end of Jan. for the first time, I will be processing cornish chickens. Kind of scared but going to make myself do it. I know from my childhood I DO NOT want to hand pluck the chickens.
    Can someone please explain in great detail, like make it a Building a Chicken Plucker For Dummies Book, how to make a cheap, easy, and simple chicken plucker?
    Thank you from a city girl gone country and forcing herself to do things she never thought possible! 2 years ago I was scared of chickens and couldn't get within 3 feet from them!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The easiest way would be to use an old washing machine. There's your drum and motor so all you have to do is install the fingers on the drum.

Depending on how many your plucking you may just want to use the drill plucker. Takes 3 to 4 min per bird with that. You attach the unit to a drill and use a clamp to hold the drill down to table.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321260063437?lpid=82

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  3. whisperinghopef

whisperinghopef Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I do think I will go with the washing machine. You are right. All I would have to do is attach the fingers. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by