Building a chicken run

Dec 15, 2020
North Hollywood, CA
Ok, I would have 2 questions.
Just building my 10 x 10 chicken run in our backyard. While building it I more or less ruined all the grass where it is now. So there is only dirt left which will be the inside of the run. Would it be a good idea if I would put sod in it? I would also have a dedicated corner with sand, so my chickens would have an area to take a sand bath. Or is it better to leave just the dirt like it is?

Second question. if I may?
I live in SoCal. And it does get hotter and hotter here by the year. Would it be a good idea to install some misters in the run? Of course, I have a roof over it and, on purpose, I built it under a huge tree for shade.

I would so appreciate it if anyone could answer those questions.

Thank you

Last edited:
Ok, I would have 2 questions.
Just building my 10 x 10 chicken run in our backyard. While building it I more or less ruined all the grass where it is now. So there is only dirt left which will be the inside of the run. Would it be a good idea if I would put sod in it? I would also have a dedicated corner with sand, so my chickens would have an area to take a sand bath. Or is it better to leave just the dirt like it is?

Second question. if I may?
I live in SoCal. And it does get hotter and hotter here by the year. Would it be a good idea to install some misters in the run? Of course, I have a roof over it and, on purpose, I built it under a huge tree for shade.

I would so appreciate it if anyone could answer those questions.

Thank you
Don't bother with sod or trying to grow grass back in there. The chickens will just destroy it.
I would add a thick layer of dry organic matter for run litter. Whatever is available to you. I like wood chips because I can get them for free.
You can set up misters if your chickens seem overheated. Deep shade on damp ground with a floor fan also works well. As does offering a shallow plastic pan with a large ice block to melt that the chickens sip from and wade in.

Last edited:
Thank you. This leads me to another question. No matter if I would have grass or organic matter. How often or how in general do I clean the inside of a run? With water or raking? When you say organic matter. Are you talking about straw or what other options are they? Sorry, for bugging you with all those questions.
I don't clean anything out of the run.
Dry organic matter can be wood chips, dry leaves, pine shavings, etc. You don't want to use anything that will mat or pack down. A mixture of things is good.
I add a truck load of wood chips annually. The chickens organize it from there.
2CAA8E144D14_1608062586465.png

Last edited:
Adding sod will be a waste of money - the chickens will tear it up pretty quickly. I wouldn't personally add misters, because moist chicken poop stinks more. The shade will be enough.

I built a run extension this year and it started out as grass....then was bare dirt after a few weeks of chicken activity. Now I toss in wood chips, leaves, old straw bales - pretty much anything organic that's going to give the chickens something to pick through all day looking for goodies. When I see it's starting to break down, add more material and scoop out some of the decomposed stuff to add to the compost pile

The chickens will likely just dirt bath wherever on bare ground. If you want a dedicated sand area, I'd say contain it somehow or it will get spread out

I don't clean anything out of the run.
Dry organic matter can be wood chips, dry leaves, pine shavings, etc. You don't want to use anything that will mat or pack down. A mixture of things is good.
I add a truck load of wood chips annually. The chickens organize it from there.View attachment 2450728
Thank you SO much for your great answer. Your run looks great btw. I learned so much just in one single day here. So glad I joined this group. :)

Adding sod will be a waste of money - the chickens will tear it up pretty quickly. I wouldn't personally add misters, because moist chicken poop stinks more. The shade will be enough.

I built a run extension this year and it started out as grass....then was bare dirt after a few weeks of chicken activity. Now I toss in wood chips, leaves, old straw bales - pretty much anything organic that's going to give the chickens something to pick through all day looking for goodies. When I see it's starting to break down, add more material and scoop out some of the decomposed stuff to add to the compost pile

The chickens will likely just dirt bath wherever on bare ground. If you want a dedicated sand area, I'd say contain it somehow or it will get spread out
Thank you for your great response. I guess I will dedicate a corner with some border with some sand, high enough so they won't be able to spill it out. But the rest of the run I will do as you and the rest of you wonderful fold suggested.

Don't bother with sod or trying to grow grass back in there. The chickens will just destroy it.
I would add a thick layer of dry organic matter for run litter. Whatever is available to you. I like wood chips because I can get them for free.
You can set up misters if your chickens seem overheated. Deep shade on damp ground with a floor fan also works well. As does offering a shallow plastic pan with a large ice block to melt that the chickens sip from and wade in.
Thank you so much. I will certainly keep all this in mind.

Thank you so much for your answer. Now, regarding woodchips. If I buy the ones, let's say at Home Depot. Do I have to be afraid there might be some chemicals in them added which might hurt the chicken? Or is this something not to worry about. So far with all the suggestions, I think I will use wood chips.
The bagged stuff at HD is usually much finer than the tree trimmers chips I get.
...and most will be dyed.

Back
Top Bottom