Building a coop and run up against a fence, advice needed

CurvyCoop

Songster
Feb 11, 2022
Groningen, the Netherlands
Disclaimer: I'm from the Netherlands!

Chicken dreams are finally becoming a reality and I've been excitedly planning and working. I'm going to be removing an existing gardenshed and will try to reuse as much of the wood as possible for the new coop. I've been tearing down stuff around the shed (think almost 20 years of ivy and several heaps of junk left behind by previous owners) and in the process discovered that my existing fence needed to go. I had planned to build my coop and run up against this fence, but I'm choosing to see this as an opportunity :p.

coop plan.jpg

This is more or less the footprint. I had to convert meters to feet so it might not be 100% accurate everywhere, but it's mostly about the back part anyway.

So the fence I drew in currently doesn't exist. My plan was to place those 5 poles and attach wooden fence frames to the outside. Connecting them to my existing gate on one side and the neighbor's fence on the other. I want to cover the whole run with pvc panels that let through some light. I'm considering extending the coop and attached shed a little bit to make up for that awkward little corner in the top left.
I've never put up pvc panels before so I don't know how heavy they are and how strong the construction needs to be, which is why I put two poles with question marks in them in the front. I don't know if they would be needed.
I'm also unsure of how to attach the run on the fence side. I want to put up hardware cloth all around the run. The easiest thing would be to just staple it to the fencepoles, but that leaves a small opening between the hardware cloth and fence panel that I'll never be able to reach and I just spent three days ripping rogue ivy out of the ground so the thought of giving it possible access to a space I can't get to... let's just say I'm not a fan :oops:

For now I'm thinking of placing the poles, stapling the hardware cloth to the outside and then covering it with the fence panels. Basically making reinforced fence panels in a way. Would that work?

Here are some pictures of the area:
front .jpg

The current shed, please excuse the crap in front, it's been hauled off. You can see the open gate on the right and the tree behind the shed on the left.

back.jpg

Behind the shed. Holes are where the old fence used to be. New fence will be about three feet to the right, ending more or less parallel to the bushes.

I'm also unsure of how to attach the run on the fence side. I want to put up hardware cloth all around the run. The easiest thing would be to just staple it to the fencepoles, but that leaves a small opening between the hardware cloth and fence panel that I'll never be able to reach and I just spent three days ripping rogue ivy out of the ground so the thought of giving it possible access to a space I can't get to... let's just say I'm not a fan
I agree, that sounds like it would be a problem.

For now I'm thinking of placing the poles, stapling the hardware cloth to the outside and then covering it with the fence panels. Basically making reinforced fence panels in a way. Would that work?
Yes, that would probably work quite well.

First thought is, are there any set back ordinances for chickens where you live?
Next is, how does your neighbor feel about attaching to their fencing?
Then, having access to both sides of any animal enclosure is important for maintenance/repair.
Finally, will you have anti-dig aprons on outside of enclosure(against predators) and do you have the space to do that?

Back
Top Bottom