Building a coop, instead of having Thanksgiving dinner

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ProductionRed09, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ProductionRed09

ProductionRed09 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    [​IMG] My two roos who before today got along very well decided that this morning would be a good time to try to fight it out. I removed the injured one and placed him in a cage, checked out his wounds, found that he was bleeding from his comb.

I have three large chain link dog runs that I merged together with little covered walkways between them. I barricaded one walkway so that no one could go in or out of it and placed the injured roo into that run.

My friends who were over to have dinner with me helped me frame up another coop for the large dog run for the injured roo.

Once this roo has recovered I will gather up some of my pullets and put them in there with him so he can have his own flock of girls.

Instead of eating Thanksgiving dinner at noon we built a coop and had dinner this evening at 5, of course it was cold by then but I was told it was the most interesting Thanksgiving that they had ever had [​IMG]

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Well, at least you all got to feast after the chores were done! lol

3. ProductionRed09

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    True, but now I have tons of splinters to dig out of my hands [​IMG]

But the turkey was good and took only 8.5 hours to cook [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] What a way to go about making a memory. Stupid birds. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    On our way home today, we were all saying it was the best Thanksgiving Day we remember in along time. It was wonderful.

Glad you got some construction done too!

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well you got the job done. but if it was me that rooster will be laying next to my turkey in the oven [​IMG]

7. ProductionRed09

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    When I processed the two turkeys I also processed a rooster, that one was mean as sin..The two I have are sweet loving birds who will sit in my lap and go to sleep..Besides I named them, I can't eat what I have named [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We named our turkeys Thanksgiving and Christmas. That still didn't stop Ken from becoming attached to them. They are still alive.

9. ProductionRed09

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    Quote:LOL This is what I named mine as well, we ate Thanksgiving today, and Christmas was given to a friend who fell on hard times..

Both of mine were mean, so it was easier to do the deed..If they had been nice and friendly I do not think I would have been able to eat them and would have had eating machines as pets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by