Building a coop over the summer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kronikjoe, May 26, 2010.

1. kronikjoe

kronikjoe In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    I plan on building a coop that would house at least 10 small chicken. However, they are all free ranging chicken. So, when it's time for sleep, they run under the house. I was happy about this at first, but months later they ended up sleeping on layers on poop. [​IMG]

I want to avoid this by moving their sleeping area to a more accessible location. Anyone have any small or even makeshift coop ideas that would keep at least 10 small chicken happy?

2. gogoalie

gogoalie Songster

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Chickens only need x amount of space per, for coop/nesting & x amount per for ranging...Where do you live & what's the preds like? Weather wise, if you live in a warmer part of the US, you should be able to get away with a one layer non insulated coop, & have a heat lamp ready when you need it. If you do build a coop, you don't want them sleepin' in their nesting boxes, keep them high, & allow them ramp access & let them run out during the day, & let them sleep on a roosting pole in the coop at night.

3. kronikjoe

kronikjoe In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    would it be alright if i just built a roosting area in a corner of the yard?

i live in hawaii btw.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would think a covered roosting area, or else when rains hit they'll still be seeking cover somewhere. The problem you're probably going to run into if you don't at least temporarily contain them, is that chickens are birds of habit. So even if you build a roosting area, they'll probably still head for the porch. Most folks will contain their birds for a week or two after moving them to new quarters so that the birds learn where their new home/safe area is. Good luck!

5. kronikjoe

kronikjoe In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    That's very helpful [​IMG]

I'll try to cover the holes under the house to prevent them from getting under the porch. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by