building a dinosaur from a chicken...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Christie Rhae, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
  2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

It is very interesting to learn that often little genetic changes can have big phenotypic differences. If you find that fascinating, look into the book Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo. But remember that only one line of dinosaurs evolved into birds. We'll never get anything like a Triceratops or Brachiosaur by fiddling with bird DNA. Still pretty cool, though.

[​IMG]

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Dinosaurs and chickens are completely different species, and were created on different days, chickens on day 5, dinosaurs on day 6. So The chickens came first! [​IMG] Completely true and proven! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. AquaEyes

Quote:Do you have evidence that what you say is true? And if you quote a book, do you have evidence that the book is true? Until you do, I will hold your opinion to be conjecture, and not science. It's fine to believe what you wish, but if you want to bring religion into a scientific debate, be prepared for me to bring science into a religious debate.

Meanwhile.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6548719.stm

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll believe it, when I see it.... alive and attempting to chew off my finger....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chickens already dinosaurs. Making it more evident would be teeth, free fingers on hands and tail. I would very much like to see the minor gene tweaking needed to make a theropod that climb trees and manipulate environment with hands.

7. AquaEyes

Quote:I think I remember seeing something about scientists finding the right genes to tweak to cause teeth to grow in a chicken. Look here .

As to the therapod hand movements, I remember a video simulation of grasping and snatching hand movements made by therapods, as suggested by skeletal features preserved in fossils, that mirrored the movements made by modern birds with their wings for flight. I'll have to find that somewhere, since I doubt I'll be able to post a link to a documentary

[​IMG]

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Do you have evidence that what you say is true? And if you quote a book, do you have evidence that the book is true? Until you do, I will hold your opinion to be conjecture, and not science. It's fine to believe what you wish, but if you want to bring religion into a scientific debate, be prepared for me to bring science into a religious debate.

Meanwhile.....

Fairly certain Farmerboy was being facetious [​IMG]

Anyway, science can do many awesome things. I don't think they'll really be able to build a dinosaur, but if they do, I just hope it is an herbivore. A zombie raptor apocalypse would be the worst!

9. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada

Meanwhile.....

Yeah, I'm almost one hundred percent certain that this is sarcasm, considering dinosaurs are not in the bible. I think that was the point...

10. AquaEyes

I don't know Farmerboy16, so I can't assume to know if he's serious or not. However, I just wanted to avoid a fun science discussion turning into a creationist debate.

Anyway...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by