Building a metal barn verses a wood portable shed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I live in sw Missouri And will be building a Rabbitry soon. Ive been calling to get quotes from people it seams that the portable barn we were looking at which would be a 12x24 would cost us 4,899 without the floor and basic package with him installing it. But a metal barn which would be a 18x28 for a metal barn builder would cost us 3,989 that would be a dirt floor 2 windows and a roll up 7x8 door o and he installs it. Does it sound to good to be true or is metal cheaper.

2. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Metal buildings are just cheaper. A metal building can be a good (more square footage for your money) option as long as it has wood framing. Metal buildings are very drafty and need insulation, so you'd want wood framing so you had something to nail OSB or plywood to inside over insulation.

My metal shed had metal framing, thus there is nothing I could nail walls to. But it really needed to be insulated, so I propped chipboard against each wall, wired it in place and put hay and newspaper behind it for insulation. Not an ideal set up to be sure! Fortunately the hens seem happy and this is temporary housing.

3. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    thanks for the info never thought about the daftness of a metal barn i will have to see if it will be all metal or not

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:Most will be all metal. but you could still insulate it , either with a spray on foam type, or you could screw boards to the metal frame and then add some type of paneling or styrofoam sheeting.

Rabbits can tolerate cold far better than heat, so be sure to have a lot of ventilation no matter how you do it.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If by metal barn you mean a quonset style building (or a similar, non box shaped prefab type building) then yes they are cheaper. However they are also VERY prone to condensation/moisture problems unless well insulated, which is only really practical with sprayed foam insulation (adds considerably to cost). You will need to have oodles more ventilation (only really practical in the two ends of the building) which will make it colder in the winter. I really don't like those kinds of buildings for animals or even for hay...

Why not do a normal pole-construction building, but do it yourself and you will save about 40% of the cost (more if you scrounge some materials). You can still use metal roofing/siding if you want (tho again, you'll want to insulate it to prevent condensation/humidity problems... but it is much easier to do on flat panels like that than on curved or zigzag panels like you get on non-box-shaped metal prefab sheds)

JME,

Pat

6. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Bear foot i know some draftness would be ok but the rabbits are in a drafty barn now and one has a cold i cant get rid of so maybe to drafty for them.
    Pat stupid me did not ask him what kind of building it was i just asumed it was a pole barn:/. We are very bad at starting a project then not finishing it the coop is only 80% done and we built it last summer lol. I do know he said he could put a porch along the side so it has to be a box style i think. More questions to ask on monday

7. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That seems low for any structure that size. Metal barns are lower maintenance and will not rot out. If the framework is metal it can always be drilled with pilot holes and use self tapping metal screws with hex heads to secure framing. Sheet styrofoam is not terribly cost prohibitive and can be glued on. Vents should be at the top and would not cause drafts.. I prefer the look of wood t it has to be painted properly especially in humid climates like yours. When you see barns that look dilapidated they are usually wood. Be sure the contractor spells out exactly what is included. Lot's of fraud with contractors. Pay as you go. Pay for materials 1st and be sure they are delivered. Then pay for labor. If you give it all at once you may not get it done and getting your money back is real hard. Friend of a friend don't mean squat. f they won't d it your way use someone else. Just my opinion formed through experience.

8. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Be sure if if you use spray foam or styrofoam insulation that you then you cover it with OSB, plywood, panelling or something. Otherwise the chickens slowly peck away at it, removing it all over time and eating it. I had to re-do my sheet foam insulation b/c of this. My feed bill wet down for a while-- so full of styrofoamn they werent eating feed. Mine had no ill effects but I'm guessing it could've resulted in illness or death had it gone on.

9. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Those chickens are such bird brains.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you feed your chickens enough styrofoam, will they lay their eggs already in the cartons?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by