Building a Momma-Proof Feeder/Waterer Contraption Type Thing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by superchemicalgirl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've got a momma and her 3 chicks in a freshly built broody box in my coop:

[​IMG]

My boyfriend built this new box for 2 reasons: 1. The other box was made partially of cardboard and was being destroyed by bad chickens in the coop and 2. I thought it was too small for her because she kept spilling her food and water.

Well, it turns out momma doesn't care what size broody area she's in, she just enjoys throwing the food and water dishes around - literally seconds after I place it carefully into her area. Doesn't matter if I place it on the shavings or on a raised piece of wood. She scratches at it, spills it and then buries it. The water then freezes the shavings into a nice ice cube. In fact, the old wire cage that she and the chicks were originally in is still in the coop because it's frozen to the coop floor and can't be pried up! Obviously the chicks are still getting food and water, but it's creating a giant mess.

Has anyone built a food/water holder that PREVENTS chickens from spilling and burying their food? I have the small plastic quart sized feeder/waterers in there so they cannot be hung. I was thinking a small tray with elevated sides that would fit the feeder and water snugly and would also somehow attach to the wire side of the cage. But I wanted to see what other ideas y'all had, and please post pictures if you've got them.

Thanks!

PS No I am not going to move the broody and chicks inside.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    For water, try a rabbit waterer. It hangs on the outside, and has a tube the chicken can drink from. for food, use one of those pet dishes that attach to the wire wall.

edited to give you this link... Look for post # 17 for a pic that will help you with the water problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436041&p=2

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The only problem with a rabbit bottle is that it would have to be low enough for the babies to reach. This would make it very difficult for mom to get to it. She's scratching because she is trying to teach the babies how to look for food. Put the waterer in a separate area from the feeder, that would help keep her from scratching at that. I usually use a dog bowl for my mom's with bitties since they're going to scratch it anyway. That way they can get in it and scratch all they want [​IMG]

4. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
  5. plecostrum

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    Food. I also use dog bowl. 3" tall. Around 8" across. She can get in kick it etc mostly stays in.

And for more birds I use a cat litter tray. This is for multiple birds they all get in lolol I have bantys

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thanks for the ideas but I think I'm going to stick with the feeders I already have. I don't want to have to buy something else that might not work. I've used some smaller plastic containers and she just throws and buries them, too.

I'm going to attempt to make a food and water docking station out of extra wood.

7. plecostrum

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    In my chick brooders after 3 weeks ish I put food and water on a shelf

This stops the litter getting in

They get up fine to it

The food tub was a plastic bird tub so I put 2 nails across it so they can not stand in it and kick it out lolol.

My birds all like to empty the feeders so I remove them till they clean up then put them back lolol. Raising them helps but still they peck it all over place

My quail have got to be the most annoying

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thanks, but I'm ok in regular chick brooders. My problem is the 8 lb broody mom who is like a tornado in there.

I was thinking big a 2x2 velcro piece to the bottom of food/water dishes which corresponds to the top of a large 2x6...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by