Building a new area for the birds - Please Help me do it right.

Pics

Enchanted1s

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
New Mexico
Hi All - I am going to attempt to build another shelter for the birds. I won't go into the story of how we became chicken keepers this year in this post, but please feel free to see my other posts - interesting story. We have one hen, one rooster and two pullets outside right now. I don't understand quite how - but we now have 3 babies (4 weeks on Tuesday)- and they need to go outside soon. I am concerned about integrating the babies with the others and have decided to build another, separate shelter. I would really like to do this one right the first time and hoping I can count on all of your experience to help me get this done right.

I broke ground on the project today, so my first questions are about the foundation. I am planning to use 2" concrete blocks around the foundation. I am also planning on using SAND and laying all the scrap fence I can under the structure. SO - my questions?
- Does this sound like a solid plan?
- If I start the 'under' fence at the foundation - digging down around the edges 6 inches or so and then just laying it on the ground and covering it with sand - will this be sufficient? We seem to have MANY burrowing critters here.
- How deep should I make the SAND?

That should do it for my foundation questions. A little more info... We let our birds free range all day and come to their area to eat, lay eggs and sleep. The existing structure (for the 4 birds currently outside) is about 8 foot wide and 6' deep, but their coop is only about 30 inches square. I plan to build this structure right next to the first one. I think I have my plans worked out at 10 1/2 feet wide and 4 foot deep on this one. I have not yet decided what I will do any additional run area on this one. The two structures are in a fenced area that is about 30ft by 50ft (approx.) I erected a goat fence to keep the goats out, but provided a door for the birds to come and go as they please. There is a fence between the animals and the barn, but it is only 4 foot, they could jump it - but don't. In fact, this week I have been working on moving the goat fence and starting the dirt work on the new area and have portions of the fence down - the birds have not gone more than a couple of feet from the fence. I guess this means they like their area? Strange little creatures... I moved the goat fence (which has the access door for the birds to roam as they please) - SAME access door, just moved to it's new location . They seem like they don't know how to get out now! They are funny.

Here are a couple of pics of how the space looks now.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to benefitting from all of the wisdom here at BYC!

The Goat Fence - Initially I had just the corner surrounding the structure to keep the goats out - I moved the fence to keep the goats OUT!
Moving.Fence.jpg Goat.Fence.Back.jpg

Here is the structure that the older birds have right now. I actually just got it up in October. (Another long story)
1st.Coop.jpq.jpg

Got part of the fence down to get materials in easier & started moving some dirt at the build site before it got dark.
Breaking.Ground.jpg

What is the point of the scrap fence on the bottom? Will that be under the sand and across the run?
Yes @ChickenCanoe under the sand and covering the entire structure - my thought was this would keep out the burrowing critters?? Amazingly, we have not had any burrowing critters come up inside the other chicken structure but we have about 10 to 20 new holes pop up DAILY throughout the property - everywhere, except this far corner where the chickens are, so far. But, I'm guessing we are tempting fate? Figured I would do all I can to protect them.??

I'm hoping that will work. I have a bit of a dilemma as to how to deal with the SAND! I have called and searched and the best deal is to buy it from the concrete company. They will NOT allow pick up and will only deliver a MINIMUM of 12 yards of SAND! That is a LOT of sand to move around! I'm sure I will figure it out, but not looking forward to that part!.

But a question for those that know ... will it be OK to level the SAND and then put the foundation blocks on top of the sand??

Last edited:
I wouldn't cover the bottom with fencing. Chickens love to scratch and dig holes. They'll end up reaching the wiring and it could cut their feet, leading to bumblefoot.
You can accomplish the same thing by running a skirt of fencing away from the pen just a couple inches under ground. Diggers trying to get to the chickens will dig at the fence and won't know to start farther out.
I'm sure if you keep searching you'll find some place else to get sand in smaller quantities.
That said, you'll be surprised how much sand you will need when it starts working its way into the soil and get scratched out far and wide by the chickens.

I assume you don't have a lot of problems with rainstorms and wet soil. If you do from time to time, you want to pick a high area or bring in lots of soil so water will run off of the chicken area.

Last edited:
@Enchanted1s I suggest either going with the wire skirt around the coop/run or dig down into the run area 1 foot and put wire down and on the sides of the inside of the run in the 1 foot deep space. Good luck with your build we’re rooting for you. :pop

Last edited:
We have lots of diggers on our property. Prairie dogs and voles, their tunnel system probably goes for miles, rabbits as well. I have yet to keep them all out of the chicken run. In the end I got a cat. This is helping with the pest population, but they still like to gorge on chicken feed. I go through way less feed now that it's winter and they are pretty much gone for the time being. I too have thought about burying a fence floor to the run to keep them out. I think you'd need to go 6 inches or more under the soil to keep the chickens from scratching at it. You'd also have to have fencing with very small holes to keep critters from squeezing through. It might be easier and/or more effective to either have a concrete slab poured or use bricks/pavers to cover the whole area. Good luck.

All Purpose Sand from box stores is an amazing product for chickens. About 80 pound bags and its a matter of $3-4 a bag if you don't want to get yards and yards from a sand company. Skirt like mentioned before is the best bet, can't go wrong when done correctly. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Thank you ALL for the replies!

So, I need to dig at least a foot to put the fence barrier. This brings me back to HOW DEEP should I make the SAND? AND can I count that in the one foot depth? I also plan to put a wire skirt around the edges - as deep as I can get it. I have a variety of scrap wire - chicken wire, hardware cloth, and goat fence.

I sure wish I could say that our burrowing critters were gone for the winter! Last month, I had to shut off the water for a repair. Below is a picture of what I found when I opened the well house! (picture was AFTER I had dug out the shut off valve!) Unfortunately, I was only able to put a wire skirt on 3 sides of the well house when I rebuilt it. I don't know where all the lines run and was scared I would damage something! Yesterday, I noticed that a critter had tried to dig in the well house, again - but the buried hardware cloth stopped them!
Well.Critter.jpg Well.Buried.jpg Well.House.jpg

I am not sure how many 80# bags of sand it would take to do both structures, but if I imagine laying the bags -unopened- I would say probably 10 bags per structure?? That's 20 bags. I have not found it for less than $6 a bag, but I will go with your $4 - that's still $80. Money is a HUGE obstacle with every project, but unless I am wrong about the amount of sand it will take...

I was unable to get any sand delivered today - so I guess my project is on hold until after Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom