Building a new chicken barn! Have questions? Need help with some ideas

kbreak

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Columbia, MS
My chicken barn is gonna be 20x24 witha 4' walk thru. It will be 8'in center with 6' walls on outside. Pens will be on each side of the walk thru. The pen front will use hardware cloth and welded wire. But in brtween each pen we will use chicken wire. Thr wire will go all the way to the ceilings. I have it divided into 6 arears. My questions are my roost, I thoughtwe colud use roost at same level. Whaatt I was thinking put a 2 8' rooster bar close to being level with each other, put poop board under the roost.
Question is how high up do we need to place the roost, I wass thinking maybe5' from ground 2 level roost? would that work with poop board under it. zi was thinking put the roost about

Thanks for any in put Thanks in advance

How high your roost is could also depend on what kind of chickens you will be raising. Our White Leghorns tend to roost very high while our Jersey Giants and Brahmas do not like a very high roost and once they are bigger, can't jump near as high. You can also solve this by having a few roosts staggered at different heights.

Quote:
In my coop now, it is ladder style. I have 11 chickens in there and they all sleep of the top roost. Crazy !! It is about 7' long and they all squeeze in. That is why I was thinking about doing 2 roost poles about level with each other. I think I have seen others done like that. Also wanting to do the poop trays under roost. I was thinking about making them about 4.5 - 5' high. Could use the little walk way up to it. Would they work?
I have Orpingtons, Marans, EEs, RIR,Australorps.

Thanks for the info!

Simply a question. Given that building materials focus on the 8 foot dimension, why are planning on 6' side walls? Curious.

Interestingly, our barn is also 20x24.
smile.png

Fred's Hens :

Simply a question. Given that building materials focus on the 8 foot dimension, why are planning on 6' side walls? Curious.

Interestingly, our barn is also 20x24.
smile.png

I am not sure but I thought that's what my husband said. Could it have been 10' in center and 8' side walls? I will sure ask him though.
Do you have pictures of yours?​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom