1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building a new coop in an old coop....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ClucksNasty, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ClucksNasty

ClucksNasty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    Going to be updating this in the next few weeks. Feel free to follow and ask anything along the way. My girlfriend rented a property with an old coop that was made into a shed, and now we are going to make coop inside that is more for the amount of chickens that we will keep. Trying to only stuff we already we had around. Going to be home to about 8-10 chickens. First off a few pics some new chicks

[​IMG]

(New Chick close up)

[​IMG]

My new chicks seem to do nothing but eat....
    [​IMG]

So in my girlfriends old shed, we thing this used to be a coup, so we decide we would rebuild...we plan on no more then ten, with 6-8 to start...
    [​IMG]

Frame out the bottom, make sure we have plenty of room for the ladies...
    [​IMG]
    Floor is in

[​IMG]
    Put some old flooring down, to make it easier to clean inside. also frame out for hen boxes.

[​IMG]
    Starting the far wall
    [​IMG]
    Outer wall with our chickie door, and we are done for tonight...

Will update you more as we get more done.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, sorry to say...but....I would not have built that floor up to the bottom of the pop door. You'll have bedding spilling out of it.
    You only need 1 nest per 4 birds, looks like you've planned for 6 nests?

If you used screws too fasten, you could back up and think it thru before building further.

Nice space for a coop, you could do a walk in coop, I built mine inside an existing shed also.

3. ClucksNasty

Jan 8, 2014
    Thanks for the reply aart, We wanted to make extra boxes in case we decide more later, I see that most that started small, wish they would have planned for more, so just thinking ahead. There is a lip on the outer part of the door, that should keep the bedding in place.

Thanks for the advice, learning as we are going.

4. ClucksNasty

Jan 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SunsetMeadow

SunsetMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Sounds like a good idea!! I wish you look

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by