1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

building a new incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lobo307, May 3, 2011.

1. lobo307

lobo307 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    i am wanting to build a new (larger) incubator and was wondering if cedar would be an ok material to use. i have alot of it already but wasnt shure about the smell or chemicals it will give off. will this be harmful to developing eggs?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I wish I knew.

I am currently looking for redwood to build my own redwood incubator. Cedar has many of the same properties about how it deals with water and it is much easier to find and much cheaper to buy.

I know that cedar shavings are a no-no for chicks, but would cedar boards oxidize and seal up so that the cedar oil wouldn't be a problem in an incubator?

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Once it aged it would be fine or you could just paint the inside.

4. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    should i seal the boards with urethane or leave them bare?

5. Sparky2726

Sparky2726 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Hiwassee, VA
    To be on the safe side, I would steer away from ceder. I know it can cause respitory problems in several animals, birds included.

Lee

6. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    ok, so im on the hunt for red oak or redwood

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  7. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Can you post details on how you plan on building this~ I was thinking about attempting this myself. Thanks!

8. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    best to buy detailed plans if you never built one. renegaderidgefarms sells them on ebay for like 12 bucks (i think). or look around this site, that should give you some great ideas. basically its a box with a controled heat source and fan(s)

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think if the Cedar is the smooth red variety and it is aged well you should be fine if you seal it first with a tongue oil, plus the color is fantastic. I personaly don't like to use ready made plans as they allways lack in many way's, But I feel the need to encourage you none the less.

10. lobo307

Feb 21, 2011
    i thought the same thing about plans but the plans from renegaderidgefarms, were extremly percise and complete all the way down to where to buy materials. most of wich were laying around my shed. i did make a few small changes to suit me but all in all the plans were wonderful. and complete. right now all he has is a completed 5 tray incubator (the one i built) on ebay for 250 bucks, wich isnt all that bad because of the labor involved.
    i am wanting to build a larger one and use the egg trays with a central turner, larger water shelf and get away from these gqf and lg turners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by