1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building a pond for ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ridgefire, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I am in the planning process of getting ducks. I only want like 3 so nothing big here.

How deep should the pond be?

Do I have to build steps to get out of the pond? or can it have straight sides to it.

I guess how big should it be for 3 ducks, unknown varitity at this time.

I am good at plumbing so I could come up with a way to circulate the water.

2. duckielove

duckielove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We built our pond for 4 ducks about 10 feet in around and 2-1/2 to 3 feet deep. We picked up a pool liner from wallyworld on clearance for 12.00 and used that. We kept the water about 3 inches from the top so they could just stroll in and had one side that was a gradual slope that they could walk out. Nothing fancy to say the least and we just used a sump pump to clean it out cause we didnt hook up any plumbing to it. They loved it and that is all that mattered [​IMG]

3. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I was looking at using one of those preformed ponds or a cement mixer trough thing. But was conserned whether they would be able to get back out with out a ramp or a step of some kind.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    put flat rocks or cinder blocks in the pond for them to step up on and get out of the pond...[​IMG]

5. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    How do you plan to drain your pond? The water will need to be replaced weekly. Pumping it out gets old quick. A gravity drain is probably the easiest way to go, unless someone knows of a better way.

6. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have a old sump pump I dont use anymore that would work.

7. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    I'm trying to get into ducks. Last year I dug a small pool approx. 8'X4'X2'. I bought a rubber liner off EBAY. It worked fine but it didn't have a drain. Pumping out the water every weekend was dirty (full of bird poo) and a pain in the butt. I built a new pool last fall. It's not totally complete yet. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow if it's not raining. It has a gravity drain and should work a lot better.

8. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    If I can get a deep enough hole I was offered an old plastic water trough for horses. It would be a nice pond but unless I can bury it there would be no way for them to get into it.

9. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Wonder if you could build a little ramp they could use to get into it and some cinder blocks inside the tank so they could get out??

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I use 2 water troughs, one for them to wade in and the other for a gravel filter. But I still have to change water once a day. In warmer weather I change it twice a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by