building a rabbit cage... need advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stumble_n_mumble, Jun 28, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hey guys i have a pretty large neutered male rabbit. i rescued him and he is the sweetest thing. i live in ny and lately the weather has been so hot. i was thinking of building him a cage that is hardware cloth all the way around including the bottom so he can run around on the dirt and attatch a little house to the end of it. should it be wider then longer or should i have a long run so he can run back and forth. he loves being on the ground but im afraid to let him run the backyard because hes a quick digger. i put him in the chicken coop just to run around and he runs and jumps while spazing out lol. hes the cutest little guy but i want to make him happy and i know he is not happy in the cage we bought for him. thanks to any and all help. [​IMG]

2. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    When I was younger I raised rabbits for 4-H. When it got really hot in the summer we would fill plastic 2 liter bottles with water and freeze them. The rabbits would lay next to them when they needed to get cool.

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i tried that he hates them lol. he beats the crud out of them hahaaa.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:That's so funny!

As far as your run goes, putting hardware cloth on the bottom is a good idea as well as having a house on one end. As long as it's tall enough for him to jump around it kinda depends on what kind of space you have available. He'll be happy with either long or square as long as there is enough room for him. I wouldn't make it too skinny and of course the more space the better if you have room. Rabbits like lots of space.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Make it small enough that you can move it easily, because if it's on the ground, droppings and ammonia are going to build up quickly.

The droppings might not fall through the hardware cloth

6. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
  7. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i tried to get the pvc pipes and its just not gonna work [​IMG]

8. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Very true. A litter box in the hutch or run for them to use will keep the ground from being their potty, just make sure you change it often. There are many sizes of hardware cloth, I agree that droppings may not fall through the 1/2" cloth easily, but there is 1/2"x 1" as well as larger versions - 2" x 3" I think? That would keep them from digging some but they would still be able to make small holes with that size.

9. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i might just build a bigger run off the ground like a hutch but make it huge lol. idk i gotta figure this out

10. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, so this is what hubby is doing for me for our two rabbits. 4' x 4' x 2' with a divider in the middle and raised 2' off the ground. Each bunny will have 4' x 2' x 2' and it will be high enough to not kill my back when I have to feed, water, etc. The back will be solid as well as the roof and I think he's planning 18" down the side to be solid as well so they have a "box" at one end that will be wind proof. The rest of it will be 1/2" hardware cloth with small cat litter pans for little boxes since I will not have a metal tray underneath. Eventually I will help him build a dig proof run and ramps from their hutch so they can have playtime with more space. It won't have to be very tall just enough to keep them in and give them running room. I'll post some pictures if you like once we're done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by