Building a roo bachelor pad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Chat, May 27, 2010.

1. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have accumulated a few extra silkie roosters over the past two years from incubating. They get along pretty well, but they are overmating several of their favorite girls which I have seperated so their feathers will have a chance to grow back. After unsuccessfully trying to rehome them in my area, I have decided to build them their own bachelor pad.

I leveled the site this past weekend. (Leave it to me to decide to place it in an area that slopes in two different directions) Although the foundation is preassure treated wood, I decided to use concreate pavers to get it off the ground a bit. I have some sinking issues with my 10 year old large coop that is on skids which I will have to fix this summer, so I want to be proactive with this coop.

Construction on the floor started on Monday (my day off), naturally the hottest day of the year so far, got up to 94. The girls were so helpful while I was digging in the dirt, looking for bugs and worms. Almost got one of their toes with the hoe more than once they were so helpful. [​IMG] I've been trying to work on it after working hours this week, so I haven't gotten as much done as I would like. Here is what I have gotten done so far:

Finished the front and back wall on Tuesday. I glued down a waterproof FRP board for the main floor for easy cleanup and used some leftover vinyl tile for the entrance way from a bathroom make over last year.
    [​IMG]

Finished the side walls and entrance way on Wednesday.
    [​IMG]

Storms are expected all afternoon today, so I will probably have to wait until Friday to do any more. I have to get the coop sided before this weekend to stay on schedule. I am only 5 feet tall, so I have talked my sister and her husband into helping me roof it this weekend. The roos won't care what it looks like, but since this is going to be my third coop on the property, I wanted it to look decent. I have sited it in a tree shaded and bushy area so I decided to go with a childs teahouse cottage playhouse design. It will have two working windows in the front and two high impact plexiglass windows on the sides for extra light. I will post some more pics as I make progress.

2. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's been a busy weekend. The walls went up on Friday and the family came over and helped put the roof on Saturday and Sunday. Today the door was built and painting was started, but had to stop early since storms blew up ahead of schedule. This is what we've gotten done so far.
    [​IMG]

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...that's some bach. pad!!! [​IMG] And you know because they're guys they won't keep it clean...you'll find dirty socks and underwear, beer cans littered about inside...[​IMG]

5. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    [​IMG]

Great job on the house! It's always so neat to see what other people have for coops. We built a rooster coop but it's not as nice as that one![​IMG]

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Would you PLEASE come to NC and build me one just like that???? PLEASE????? I love it!

7. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Hopefully this will be my last one, my body is killing me and I look like I've been in an accident I have so many scrapes and brusies.

Thanks everyone. I am pretty proud of it so far. This has been my first building project from scratch, but after a month of research and getting ideas from this site, I'm relieved it is almost done. Still have to finish painting and trim work, plus insulating the inside before the boys get to move in. At least I don't have to build nest boxes...

8. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] Actually, there are a couple of beer cans in there right now. My sister was off today as well, for the holiday, so she was kind enough to come over to help me paint. Had to duck inside the new coop to get out of the pop up shower, so I grabbed a couple of beers and we sat on the paint cans inside watching as the rain washed off the one side that hadn't dried yet. [​IMG] This is what I saw after we came out. (don't mind the pic. The coop really is level, I just can't hold the camera straight)
    [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    OMG, you are soooooooooooooo on a role! I couldn't imagine getting all that done, and so nicely, in a weekend! [​IMG]

10. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Well, I am a slave driver. I worked the help till dark on both days and didn't break for lunch until 2:00. (They were hateing me actually) I was already told that would be the last project they will help me with for several years. Turn about is fair play. A couple of years ago, I was helping build a metal shed for my sister and her husband in December. Yes, I said December. (They had taken in some animals and needed temporary housing.) Our hands were so cold, you couldn't even tell they were cut and bleeding until we had finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by