Building a run - help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by uc4tuna, Apr 20, 2012.

1. uc4tuna

uc4tuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Daly City, Ca
    Hi everyone! Hoping to benefit from everyone's expertise here before setting up my run this weekend! I have 4 3-week old chicks that are quickly outgrowing their brooder. I got a used Eglu Cube that I'm planning to set up in my suburban backyard. (In the future I'm hoping to build a WIR, but for now I'll just use the 10x4 foot run that came with the cube. The chicks will also spend a fair amount of time free-ranging under supervision and hanging out in our large side yard.)

Our yard is full of slowly-draining clay, so I'm hoping to avoid having a big smelly muddy run by building the run up a little (as pictured below) and using sand. Initially, I was planning to use some kind of edging (either redwood/cedar boards or composite boards), then 3-4 inches of drain rock to improve drainage, then 3-4 inches of sand. However, the guy at the lumber yard said the sand would fall through the drain rocks and I should put landscape fabric in between. So now I'm torn about whether I should even bother with the drain rock. We don't get a lot of rain here in California, but I really don't want the run to smell since our neighbors are pretty close by!

So - should I use drain rock or is it not really necessary? I could always use the drain rock around the edges of the run and then just sand in the run itself. I also have to make sure that predators (including my small dogs) can't dig into the run, which if the whole thing is sand might be a problem. (There is an apron on the cube run.)

Thanks for any help!!

2. uc4tuna

uc4tuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Daly City, Ca
    OK, and I see that the picture isn't there so I'll try to post it here. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by