Building a run on sloping ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MVchickens, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Tell me how you guys built your runs on sloping ground. Im having trouble making mine. Any help appreciated!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Thanks for that but Im really trying to build a super secure run that nothing could get into. I travel a lot and don't want to have to worry about them. I think my best bet will be to just raise the ground level in that area and build n top of that. Any other suggestions?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Why raise it ?? leave it sloped. At the least you won't be one of those folks who post every other day that their run's are flooded and OMG what should I do LOL. I have mine on sloped ground just for that reason and it has worked out just fine. You will be happier for it, what problems it that your having with building a sloping run ??.

AL

5. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    True. My problem is the erosion with all the rain and snow, And i cant seem to wrap my mind about fencing it. How would I do that?

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I understand your frustration, think of it like this. The corners need to be wraped like a folded christmas present or a bed sheet. Build the post level & upright then just trim the wood or fencing as you line it up. it will travel down the line just fine and repeat on the next corner.

AL

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Put in verticle posts, 2 feet down and secured in concrete. Use 2x4 welded wire or no climb fencing and attach to 4x4 posts. Follow up with some hardware cloth around the bottom to foil the coons. The 2x4 no climb will follow contours better than the welded wire. Attach the end panels, then attach each side panel. Use the 1 3/4" heavy staples for the 2x4 wire. There will be a little waste on side going down the slope.

This is what I did for my dog kennel. It isn't sloped, but you can see that you don't have to wrap the corners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Dover, Arkansas
    Quote:I am with AL on this one! If erosion is a real big concern to you, then get some landscape timbers and position them about a foot or so tall along the fence at your downslope at the end of your run. It should catch all eroding top soil over time!
    I am in the process of building a new coop and run and it will also be on a slope. Well I hope this helps also!
    Karl

9. yellowjacket

yellowjacket Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    Summerland, BC
    Mine is on a slope-had no other choice than to build it this way.......

[​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:interesting build. looks very sturdy/solid. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by