1. WashingtonCowgirl

WashingtonCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    My coop that I am remodeling is currently run-less. The chicken part of the coop is 5ft by 10 ft, and that will be divided into 2 separate five by five coops, each with their own 10ft by 10ft run. In the middle of those 2 runs I plan on having a fenced garden. I have never built a run before, so I have no clue where to even start. We have a lot of no-climb fencing, so could I use that and then add chicken wire to it for a little extra protection? Any certain kind of wood I should use? lol like I said I have no clue what I'm doing, so I might ask some pretty dumb questions [​IMG] Here is a super basic picture of what I plan on doing:
    [​IMG]

2. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I used pressure treated 4x4's for the posts of my 10x20' run spaced 5' apart with 2x4's for bracing inbetween. It is very sturdy. This also eliminated a lot of cutting and wasted lumber. I used heavy 2x3"wire to cover it (sides and top).

I can't sress enough the importance of the posts being SQUARE! The outcome of the whole thing depends on square and even posts, otherwise it will be all out of whack and look funny. I speak from experience. This past early summer with temps in the high 90's with humidity I got so frustreted I almost gave up! I'm glad I stuck with it because a big run is worth it for happy chickens.

3. WashingtonCowgirl

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    Thanks for the reply. I have started looking for cheap supplies on craigslist. I forgot to add: It has to be super predator proof. We have: hawks, mink, raccoons, possums and coyotes. So I will be burying the fencing around the outside as well as putting netting on top of the runs.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm not too experienced in that field but netting ? I don't think that is strong enough to keep predators out. I know I read somewhere and a lot of people at BYC will tell you that some people dug 1 or 2ft underneath the run so nothing can dig themselve in. I would choose hardware cloth instead of netting if you ask me. Good luck with your project and just out of curiousity, why are you separating their coop ?

5. WashingtonCowgirl

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    Quote:The netting we will be using is the stuff they use on golf courses to stop the golf balls from going where they shouldn't. Its tough stuff. I am not 100% sure what I am doing with the 2 sections yet lol. I might put layers in one, and have the other for meat birds, or put chickens in one and a few ducks in the other, or maybe not. I'm not sure yet.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    [​IMG]

Coop is attached to the run. Run is next to the garden. I added an access to the garden over the winter, and have added 2x4 no climb to the garden fence as well since this photo was taken. The garden posts are old 2x6's, doubled up. I had about 50 of them from the house we built, and they were pretty ugly, and paid for. The other posts are 4x4 posts in concrete or 2" field posts. I wouldn't do field posts again, as Gloria stated. I added hardware cloth to the bottom portion of the run all the way around to keep the coons out.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    With 3 spaces, may I suggest that you rotate your garden area? The chickens would love to run in the garden and clean up the leftovers at the end of the season and you would get the added benefit of them scratching up the earth and their poo would fertilize the garden. I like the way you have designed the runs and garden. For cheap lumber, go to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and ask about their cull rack. That is reject lumber, but it would be fine for building a run. Also go to the paint department and ask about OOPS paint. You might wind up with some color you really hadn't planned on, but that just makes it more fun. Good luck, and have fun with it.

8. WashingtonCowgirl

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    Quote:I didn't know there was such a thing! Thanks for the suggestion! It would be a big hassle to completely rotate, but I definitely could let them in there to roam when its not growing season. We are slowly trying to turn our 10 acres back into a working farm like it used to be [​IMG] Its definitely a LONG process [​IMG]

9. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    take your time on deciding how or which bird goes where. But don't kick back and relax [​IMG] though [​IMG] What I mean is do my research and get more ideas. The plan you have is an excellent set-up. Last summer, I decided I like the look of a wooden run instead of chainlink dog fence we got for dogs originally. So I brought 2x4's and hardware cloth and measured it, cut it and pinned them down. It looked great but wrong size [​IMG] [​IMG] . That's ok, I'll re-do it again. Or you can if it's cheaper in your area to get a chainlink fence 10x10 and use another chainlink fence on top, secure it and there you go, all done. I found from our local agway 10x10 (4 pieces) for $320.00 Just calculate how much it will cost for netting and lumber.
    Oh, one more thing, I have ducks and I've been told that they need more run space then chickens and plus their pond. That could be a kitty pool or a plastic underground pong, your choice but they do need lots of water. Their happier and healthier that way. From what I've learned, too many choices will drive you crazy. Think simple, efficient and provide them with what they need, that's all it matters. Again, good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

DogFish* Nice coop and run [​IMG]

10. WashingtonCowgirl

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    Quote:If we get ducks, I will put a pond in the run (one of the underground ones) but my mom and I were talking about getting a turkey possibly instead [​IMG] We tend to be indecisive [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by