1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building a second, smaller coop for our new chickens.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tomhusker, May 6, 2011.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Well, not brand new, more like 4 weeks old... ish.

The ten of them have outgrown their brooder box, so I am building a small 6x4 foot box coop that we will attach to our 6x12 foot run. Our first coop took 3 days to build, with two of us working on it. This one was pretty much done in one day except for the pop door and ventilation holes being cut out. I am painting it today, I am going with barn White paint. It was supposed to be red, but I grabbed the wrong color by mistake and really don't feel like taking it back. Besides, the white will reflect the heat better.

I know the 6x4 size is kind of small for 10 chickens, but they will have the run, plus once they get used to the new digs they will free range a few hours a day until bigger.
    Then I will try to figure out a way to either add this coop onto our existing 12x4 coop, or just build an addition and use this little one as a breeder coop, or a nursery.

2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'd love to see a picture!

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I just finished painting it and putting the chicks in it. They seem to like the extra room. I'll bet pictures after we attach it to the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by