Building a Tin lined feed storage box

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erickat, Jun 28, 2010.

1. erickat

erickat New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I am researching a project to build a feed storage box for a local chicken farm (http://firstfruitsfarm.org/about.html). And I'm OK with the dimensions / hinged top etc... but we were planning to line the box with tin to make it vermin proof - and I'm wondering how best to do this. I'm assuming I'd build it out of plywood and get a roll of tin from home depot or somewhere & maybe tack the tin onto the inside panels prior to assembling - does this make sense?

Here's the site that has a general plan (that I would customize, based on the size needed)
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/horses/feeding/general/feed-bin#Materials

Note - I don't work for first fruits farm, this is a project I'm working on for them as a volunteer, with my son - so we aren't looking to purchase a feed storage box - we need to build one. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 person likes this.
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry I can't answer your question. I am challenged in the carpentry dept.

Did want to Welcome you to BYC from Imp in Washington

Imp- Sounds like a worthwhile cause.

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Why not just use brand new, metal trash cans? I've used these for ALL of my animal feeds--cat food, horse food, chicken crumbles, oats, corn, etc. for several decades, and as long as the lids are on tight, I haven't had any mice in my feed. Just a thought. [​IMG]

4. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Know anyone that is a sheet metal worker? That's your best bet, or even go to a sheet metal shop. Use the back door and talk to one of the workers, they'll probably do it for you as a "side" job. You might pay a couple bucks, but if you really have your heart set on a tin lined box, this is an option. But I have to say, the metal trash cans are a good idea too.

5. erickat

erickat New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    The reason we're building it vs. using metal trash cans is because he outlined the project as a custom built feed box on his eagle project planning document & one of the leaders told him to line it with tin to keep out the mice & rats, so we're kind of stuck with the design. I'm thinking if we cut the wooden pieces (bottom, sides, front & back) and then line them with the tin (tacked to the wood) before assembly, that would work - but i figured maybe someone had already dealt with this situation previously. My main concern is that there be no sharp tin edges that could tear the bag or cut a finger when getting feed out of the box.

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    You can cut the tin, or sheet metal, pieces, then use a vice or pliers to turn the edge under. Hammer the bend as flat as you can and you will eliminate the sharp edge. Simply attach it to the wood with the folded lip facing the wood. hope this makes sense.

ETA Pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:Sorry--I didn't know! [​IMG]
    I wanna see pics of the finished work--Scouting projects teach kids SO MUCH, don't they!! [​IMG]

8. erickat

erickat New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Thanks for all the help & suggestions - we will be completing this project on Saturday, 7/10, and I will upload some before & after pictures. I have a much better idea of what this is going to look like now... think of a horse stall. You walk in through a split door on the left side of the stall and look to the right - there are plastic barrels lined up against the right hand wall, which is where this "built-in" chicken box will go. We will remove the barrels, frame out the floor with 2x4's and nail the back and left portions of the box directly to the walls of the stall. Then we can put the bottom down & frame out the front & right sides with 2x4's before putting on the right side panel and the front panel. This will give us a box that is a about 11 feet long by 3 1/2 feet high by 2 1/2 feet wide. We will put two hinged tops on it, each half the length of the box. We will be using 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4's for the job. So far, i have not figured out where to get sheet metal to line the thing with, but I'm hopeful that some will turn up somewhere - and we will simply turn the cut sides under & nail them to the plywood before installing, or if possible, get someone who does HVAC work to fabricate a box insert of the right dimensions, which would be great.

Anyway, I'll post pictures after we're done.

9. IndyBlu

IndyBlu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello. Just noticed your post and would like to throw an idea at you. This project might get to be a bit pricey if you hire sheet metal workers to make a skin for the box. I think this will be a whole lot cheaper than what you are trying to do and will be a whole lot simpler.

Have you thought of using an old chest freezer? With some old barn boards and some construction adhesive we made a very serviceable metal lined feed storage box. We discarded the original top and made a new one out of some extra boards. Discarded the original top as we wanted some air movement in there. We added leaf hinges on the back and a hasp on the front. We also have the advantage of a shelf on one end, which had originally covered the motor, handy place for buckets, etc..

If you need one as long as you listed, just get two freezers. If you decide to try this get some offset hinges so you can push the box right up to the wall. Otherwise the gap created from it being away from the wall will make a great hideout for vermin. You will also want some offset so you can lean the lid against the wall and it won't fall down on your head when it's left open. Trust me on that one....

Works like a charm and if it's a concern, it will look very barn-i-fied and look as if it's always been there. Don't let the chickens roost on it or that will be another clean-up job.

Good luck and have fun...

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the cheap way out is find a truck tool box in the penny papers or at a yard sale / flea market the one I have is vermin proof and locks if I choose to lock it but the coons here do not seem smart enough top get it open LOL the one I have is for a full size truck and it is one big door not the 2 doors model I put 4 bags of 50# feed and necessary stuff tools etc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by