building a "tractor coop" That is moved around with an actual tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baldchewy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Baldchewy

Baldchewy New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Lorette, Manitoba, Canada
    I am new member here and I am looking at building an A frame type tractor. I am lucky enough to own 26 Hp tractor. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a larger tractor coop that could be moved around with the bucket of the tractor. I would like to make the coop large enough to accomodate 12 or so dual pupose birds. This would require a fair size A frame coop. I like the look and the strength of the Southern Agarian ark http://www.southernagrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/arkIMG_0425_640x480.jpg

Much obliged,
    Mathieu from Canada

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    My tractor was not A-frame type, but thought I'd post a photo anyway. I actually moved it with an old mini-van that doubled as the coop where the birds were confined during the night (lots of predators here in Colorado) but the design could be adapted to include a sheltered area pretty easily. If you were only using it in the summer to grow out some young birds, a tarp would probably be enough.

[​IMG]
    In this photo I had not yet built the man-door on the far end. The open end in the photo backed up against the back of the mini-van. I did add wheels to it that could be raised when the tractor was in place and lowered when I wanted to move the tractor. Here's a photo of it attached to the mini-van. I covered the entire top of the tractor (leaving the bottom section uncovered so a breeze could blow through) on hot and sunny days because the chickens were just huddling in the shade and not making use of the entire square footage.

[​IMG]

3. Baldchewy

Baldchewy New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    I do have to admit that this was my second design choice; it is a simple and effective approach. I am somewhat set on a tractor coop so that in following years if I would like to expand I could just use the tractor as a chicken day care during the day. I completely understand the predator problem; I think the only problem I do not have is bears. At this time I am not looking to winter the birds because of the cold and the snow. I agree that I could put a shelter on the backside. I suppose that I could also some type of arms tha fit into the bucket of the tractor for transportation.

Much obliged,
    Mathieu from Canada

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  5. Baldchewy

Baldchewy New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes! I was looking at getting a compost fork anyway with removable able spears. The whole assembly clamps on as you say. This is what I was thinking of that I also have access to up here in the North from Canada forks.com.[​IMG]

much obliged,
    Mathieu

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by