Building an Incubator, Help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SaraF, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I want to start a new project, and start hatching my own eggs soon. I noticed that the prices of incuabtors in magazines are way expensive. And plus, building your own is much more exciting when they hatch. I am planning on building one to hold only 12 eggs. I tried to look was to make them over the internet, and here on BYC, but they are for large incubators or the supply costs are to much.
    So my plan is to make a small, workable incubator for 12 eggs. Cost under $100, perferably under $60 to build it. I need like s tep by step instuction, since i've never even attempted this before, and if u have pictures that would be great. Otherwise its fine. and a material list?
    Thanks.

2. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Hi there, I made two of these and they have worked just fine, hatching over 150 eggs!!!

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=607

The only part i changed was to make the mesh all the same height and not making an arch for the bulb. That was awkward. I also made sure the mesh was folded over and pushed down the sides so the mesh made legs, That was my second attemt as the first had gaps and a little chickie somehow slid down the edge and drowned in the water bowl. [​IMG]
    My fan was also under the mesh as i could see little beaks would get caught.

Just make all is measured properly and the mesh is secure all round.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  3. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    here is mine. hope this helps a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    Thank you for posting that info. That was a great help.[​IMG]

5. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Thank you so much. I will be sure to get started. we just ordered some layers and roosters from Myer Hatchery. Hoping when they get older I might be hatching their babies for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by