Building an incubator!!!!!

FatTom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Great Falls, Mt.
I want to build an incubator do you think a 120qt. cooler is too big? I found a cheep one on CL. I have been trying find one on freecycle but no luck.

I have built two bators from a large foam cooler. You can check it out by clicking on my name and looking at my profile. Scroll down, if you don't see "My Homemade bator" click on the word Forums it will close down all the crap there and my bator should be there. Hope it helps. :thumbsup

Check out resale shops. I found a $3.00 Insulated Cooler at a Resale/ReUse Center. I have 2 homemade insulated coolers/bators now - one is 68qt w/ 2 60 watt light bulbs and computer fan. I had to cut off two rows of automatic egg turner but it. still will do 27 eggs at a time. Other cooler, I used a heating element from a resale $2.00 crock-pot with computer fan. I thought about using a large end table I found sitting out for free, it had enclosed storage below with 2 full doors - it would have held 2 full egg turner trays but that would get me in soo much trouble w/ DH.
Have fun building or re-purposing something into a bator.

Thanks for the advise but some one got there before me. Will keep looking.

Foam coolers should be in the stores soon. 120 qt cooler maybe bigger than you want to start with. THe larger the incubator the more issues with heating and air ciruclation. SO maybe not getting that cooler is a blessing in disguise.

How many eggs do you think you want in a batch? I have seen other items used like a bread box.

Here is a simple project, have you see this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/8510/chic-chick-bator-updated

Finally have everything but a thermostat. Just haven't figured out what kind of thermostat to use. I have read alot and everyone has good and bads about both water heater and disk style thermostats so guess just have to pick one and see if it suits me. :)

I don't think I've ever read where anyone regretted making their incubator too large? Many have written, wishing they had built a larger one! I think keeping things stable is easier in a large box. The smaller incubator's temps and humidity will spike up and down more rapidly simply because of the smaller area involved.

Providing good air circulation will eliminate many problems. Fans are a cheap way to keep things very controllable.

You can't argue with the performance of the $8.00 water-heater thermostats that are providing a .5 to 2 degree differential in temperature. Most folks drill them as I'm sure you've seen and read. I used the wafer type so that I wouldn't have to keep changing the location of the thermostat and drilling new holes to find the perfect spot.

Back
Top Bottom