Building chicken feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bernaboo111, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bernaboo111

bernaboo111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

I have been looking for a long time for how to build a small chicken feeder. All I ever get is HUGE feeders. Am I the only one that needs a small feeder? If you have a pattern on how to build one, PLEASE let me know!

2. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    My coop is small... 4'x4'x4'. I've tried two versions one is a PVC pipe, works great but needs to be filled every couple days - I have 5 chickens.

The other is a 5 gallon bucket that is PRICELESS. Only needs to be filled about 1 time per month (will save me time being in the cold this winter). It doesn't take much space either! If you can make room you won't be sorry!!! This design comes from a post by Jetdog
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823248/show-me-your-feeders/10#post_12005525

Picture taken by my webcam inside the coop:
    [​IMG]

90 degree PVC elbow 3" that's down in the bucket:
    [​IMG]

Side view:

[​IMG]

You cut the pipe at the red line and put THAT end in the bucket about 1/2" to 3/4" off the bottom (no higher or the food will spill out).
    [​IMG]
    View looking into the bucket:

[​IMG]

Here's the PVC pipe idea. Works well, but needs to be filled often. You have to plug the bottom of the pipe too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. bernaboo111

Great ideas! The gallon bucket is too big. [​IMG] The pvc is good though. Thanks a lot!

4. mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    So in the 5 gallon feeder their is only one area to eat from? Could you place 3 of them instead so 3 chickens could eat at a time? So less fighting during food time. I got a bunch of 3 gallon buckets from the local bakery that I want to use.

5. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013
    Yes. Absolutely! I think I read somewhere you could do as many as 4 if you wanted to provide space to eat all around the bucket.

I have mine up on 3 patio blocks to bring it up to their chests so they can get their heads in easy and not drag the food out and waste it.

6. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013
    Glad to help you out.

Really the 5 gallon bucket is too big? How big is the space you want to put a feeder in? You might just want to sit a 5 gallon bucket in that spot and just see if it would work.

To me the bucket is priceless (especially with winter coming). It holds a boat load of food and doesn't need to be refilled very often.

7. bernaboo111

I like the PVC idea also. I don't mind filling it up every two days or so, thanks though....

8. bernaboo111

anyone?

9. prepforshtf

prepforshtf New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    I just built this one a little while ago I posted the instructions on my blog you can get them here DIY PVC Chicken Feeder

. [​IMG]

I also added a feed indicator to it so you know when to fill it with feed

[​IMG]

10. bernaboo111

What is that red thing on it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by