Building Coop Number 3 *Updated*

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
Yesterday I started building Coop Number 3. I'll post pics as I progress and then convert it all into a coop page. The coop will be an 8' square with a shed type roof.

All contruction pics will be posted at:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/mrtruman1978/Coop Number 3/

DAY ONE

This is the site before any contruction has begun. The front of the coop, where the people door will be, will face into our backyard so that we can enter the coop without entering the chicken yard.

35167_coop_number_3_001.jpg

The frame for the floor is now in place. The area under the floor will be left open so the chickens can use it for cover and shade. The pop door will open into the chicken yard that you can see in the background of this picture.

35167_coop_number_3_007.jpg

The last bit I accomplished today was getting the vinyl glued down. The walls will sit on the vinyl to help hold it in place.

35167_coop_number_3_010.jpg

DAY TWO

Today we got all four walls up, both windows installed and siding on three sides.

The windows were recycled from my uncles house and have been collecting dust in a storage building for years. They face east and west and should help with summer time cooling.

35167_coop_number_3_024.jpg

Callie was our supervisor today and inspected all work.

35167_coop_number_3_017.jpg

Day Three

No rain and a day off finally allowed us to work on the coop. Today we got the siding on the last wall, got the roof put on, most of the trim on the walls and the door built.

The current door latch is a temporary fix so we could get the girls moved into the coop tonight.

We still have to trim out the roof and then the major exterior construction will be complete. Then we can focus on accesorizing the interior.

35167_coop_number_3_035.jpg

35167_coop_number_3_036.jpg

February 2010

Finally got the roof trim on and the fence attached. The coop will be white with a slate gray trim when Spring finally arrives and I can paint. Still debating on the landscaping for the chicken yard and the front of the coop. Largely depends on whats on sale or free.

interior004.jpg

interior005.jpg

We decided to trim the popdoor with threshhold trim to keep down wear and tear on the sides of the door. It took a few weeks for the cochins to learn to use the ramp and popdoor, but I think they have it figured out now.

Christmas2009029.jpg

Christmas2009030.jpg

We built a roost/poop board system that will hopefully make clean up easier. The poop board is covered in left over vinyl from the floor. We use plastic totes made for underbed storage on the boards to catch the droppings from the roost. We also covered the board with wire so that the chickens, especially the cochins, can't get to the poop.

Christmas2009033.jpg

Christmas2009037.jpg

interior003.jpg

The nest box was made from left over siding from the coop and some assorted scrap from other projects. The two bins underneath are from Target.

interior002.jpg

PAINT!

Spring has returned so we finally got the exterior of the coop painted. We still have to paint the trim around the windows and door, but we are almost there.

pics002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same slope as my site in W Knoxville. I glued my linoleum down before framing walls too. I also ran 16" tall strips from floor level up walls in between studs for purpose of deflecting poop to where it cannot pile up on wall baseplate. I stapled and caulked it to that I could just take a garden hose to it whenever litter is changed out. Found that by using deep litter method and poop planks, I will only need to change litter once a year. Working well as coop never smelly exc in cold weather when I first let the inmates out every AM. Shortly after scraping poop planks and opening windows, it is odor free. (poop goes to garden in winter, and to compost in warmer weather.) I used six creosote poles 6" dia for legs that I already had and recycled pr treated 2x6's for joists, 16" center, doubled around perimeter.

I did it 8 x 16 x 8 ft tall. 4 windows, 1 E, 2 S, 1 W. All open. no windows on N side. 2 gable vents 12" X 12", and one 18" turbine vent in center of roof. Roof pitch is 6:12, and I made roof trusses so that they provide more airflow room above wall header. The overhang includes the base cord as well as the top rafter. (Standard truss includes only top rafter in overhang) Made it easier to install the two short angle-iron brackets to mount the 4 pulleys on for opening the two pop doors. Uses 2 guillotine type doors with cables up and over to raise/lower. The two pop doors flank the entrance door on the S side. I have some finished pics.

Had to buy over 90% of materials. I did use some steel banding to tie down the floor joists to the posts that are all set in cement for reasons of possible wind uplift since mine sits on slope similar to yours. Then I lapped the sheathing down over the floor joist perimeter to anchor the wall down to floor frame. I did also use truss clips to anchor the home made roof trusses down to the top plate of walls. I was concerned about the building being so light and about wind being able to get under it.

My chooks used to hang out under coop a lot, so eventually I used chicken wire to close off the lowest parts of it. I was afraid they would start laying eggs up under there and all the headaches that would cause me. I may eventually let them back in there once they are all laying in the nests.

I did roosts at 48" ht and nests at 24" ht. Is working well and no pooping in nests ever.

Your coop looks great but I think it's a little cruel to post pictures where there is still green grass and trees when we're up to our necks in snow and slush..... Really, it looks like a lovely site and the coop looks really nice.

Back
Top Bottom