Building coop with salvage lumber is .....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by columbiacritter, Mar 20, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Like putting together a giant wooden model where none of the pieces match

like making a quilt out of mismatched wood

Hideously frustrating

very rewarding, eventually.

2. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Think of it as though you were giving each piece of lumber another opportunity to be useful again.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My coop is completely reused materials. Tin from a torn down shed, Plywood from the fire dept remodel, Nest box I cleaned and repainted etc. I thought that my family would get bored with the chicken thing and alot of money would be wasted. I had grown up with chickens, they had not. I never thought that I myself would fall off the wagon and become a chicken addict again, but I did.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I'm still working on finding used lumber...I would love to be "making a quilt out of mismatched wood" right about now!

5. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:try building your house from it. Well, renovating your victorian house with it. It's hellish, isn't it? but so good. I will be doing the same for my coop, feel your pain!

6. gottadance

gottadance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    Yes, sounds frustrating - I also have been saving scraps, etc. but have a feeling I'll end up having to go and buy a bunch of stuff anyway.

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think we'll be building a rabbit run (for exercise, she's normally an indoors rabbit) and a serama coop out of old fencing this summer. Our fence fell down, so why not make use of what we can?

8. Paraclete

Paraclete Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Norco
    I made a little brooder box from what was left of an old rabbit cage my sister had, took it apart, pulled nails and tacks then went about putting it all back together. Lol nothing wanted to match up because of the warping in the wood, thought it was going to look all wacky shack like. But in the end I found a nice straight and flat piece of plywood that like pulled it all together in the end. Looks rather nice as long as you don't stare at it too long, then you notice nothing really lines up properly. [​IMG]

9. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:I'm still working on finding used lumber...I would love to be "making a quilt out of mismatched wood" right about now!

You can find shipping pallets all over the place (go with the heat treated). It takes a bit of work to pull them apart, but that's the price of "free" stuff. FWIW, I'd probably just cut the pallets rather than trying to pull the nails out.

Another place to get cheap wood is at HD & Lowe's near the lumber in the back of their stores. Folks will often buy wood and have them cut it and the stores will sell the scraps. And of course, do some dumpster diving. Folks put all sorts of stuff on the curb and in/near dumpsters (like I said..."free" comes at a price).

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    My coop is built using old pallets my son's pulled the nails and my DH built the coop with the boards. It looks okay not a mansion but the chickens like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by