building incubator with wine cooler and incukit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karma33, Oct 22, 2017.

1. karma33

karma33 In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    im planning on building an incubator out of a wine cooler, measures 31 high, 22 deep and 19 wide. the incukit heaters now come in 125 watts. would that be sufficient to heat that area does anyone know? i could use 2, but then thats just more expense (they arent that cheap!) if i dont have to. the wine cooler is very well insulated. any help would be appreciated! thanks!

penny1960 likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Personally, I think the wattage would be sufficient. I am not very certain about the cooler being very airtight. You may need to add vents.

penny1960 and karma33 like this.
  3. karma33

karma33 In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    i think it is quite airtight. but planning on putting a few vents in...can cover them if not needed.
    any tips on this project is appreciated!

penny1960 likes this.
  4. IncubatorWarehouse.com

IncubatorWarehouse.com Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    Fruitland, ID
    Generally 1 of the heater/fan combos is enough for something the size of a wine fridge. We do not usually suggest running to on a preinsulated build until you get into chest freezer or stand up fridge sizes. Best of luck.

karma33 and BantyChooks like this.
  5. karma33

karma33 In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    ok, so i think i hit a snag...my plan was to install fan/heater at the top of the back false wall...with air flowing up the back and out through the fan/heat...well now i see the fan/heater has a backplate on it so it wont work that way....does anyone have any ideas how i can install it to the false back and still have airflow? should i open up the false back just above the shelf and install it to the true back? will this work?

6. amunk01

amunk01 Songster

Jul 20, 2014
    OKC
    @karma33 How far did you get on your Wine cooler build? I pick up this tomorrow, and am considering the Incukit. Do you mind sharing some pictures? I'm shocked there isn't a dozen threads on this, but seems like everyone uses light bulbs... Screenshot_20180112-200900.png

7. karma33

karma33 In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    @amunk01 i am on my first test hatch! i just set a dozen eggs yesterday. i had a bit or trouble getting the temp comsistant all through the wine cooler. i am still not sure why. there would be some hot spots and some cooler spots but if i moved the unit around it would change...im thinking it has something to do with the wine cooler being so well insulated and i think if it was bigger it would have worked better. Anyways i ended up ordering another fan from incubator warehouse...i put the fan/heater unit on the bottem, and the fan on the top. i had to play around with where to put the sensor as there is still some varience of temp but not much. ive got it pretty much within .7 of a degree in all spots,,,so im going with that. depending on spot it is 99.3 to 100.0. so im trying a test hatch and as these eggs are not mine im not sure of the fertility so i put a dozen in my trusty little incubator and a dozen in this new one. i have 2 small plastic containers of water in the very bottem and the humidty is holding at 40 with 3 small vents open.
    oh, and wanted to add, the fellows at incubator warrehouse are great for support. ive done the online chat with them a few times and always very helpful.

8. CaliChook

CaliChook In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2018
    Hi. It's been about 3 months since your last post here. How did the hatch go? Would you mind posting a picture of your incubator? I'm currently trying to build my own and already have the wine cooler. I'm just trying to choose the heating source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: