Building Laying Boxes, Need Size Help.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UrbanScratch, Mar 18, 2013.

1. UrbanScratch

UrbanScratch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    I am building three laying boxes. What is the desired size on boxes? I have RIR's. Thanks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most people use 12X12X12. Mine are a little bigger and tall enough for the chicken to stand. Mine are between 14 and 16". I have a lot of different size birds. Occasionally there will be 2 birds in the same nest at the same time.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You’ll find we do all sort of things as far as nesting boxes. It’s not a question of right or wrong, just a case of what we do.

A general rule of thumb is that they need to be at least 12” wide X 12” deep with an inside height of at least 12” for full-sized fowl, which is what you have. You’ll see photos of people using things that are not that big. You’ll see a lot that are a lot bigger, even going to “community” nesting boxes. I personally went with 16” x 16” x 16” which works well.

Not knowing anything about what you are doing, make then at least 12” in each dimension, with bigger not a problem.

4. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    ChickenCanoe, I often have three full-sized hens in one of my 16" cubes with a fourth pacing outside to wait her turn. That's with empty nests available. That's why I went with the larger nests than the minimum. I knew they sometimes liked to lay together.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine are 14 x 14 in dimension but are 16 tall so they can stand.

6. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This may be off-topic a bit, but I just got back from the coop. I have 11 hens laying age and three nest boxes. Each nest had two hens in it. I’ve never seen that before.

Two in one, yeah that happens a lot. Three in one, not that unusual. But two in each of the three, that’s a first.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    cool
    It just goes to show.
    If you think something is unusual, it probably isn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by