Building Material for House Interior

pennyhaddock

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
North Texas
Can anyone help with information on what material we should use to build our pea-chicks night time coop with? I am hesitant to use wood due to everything I've read about mites being a problem with wood - has anyone ever used hardy board, shower board or any type of plastic for the inside of the house? We are very new to this and building this with no experience. My husband is handy, but hasn't ever built a chicken/peafowl house before- I am somewhat holding up his progress because I don't want him to use wood for the inside- again because of the issues with mites and because wood doesn't dry easily when washed out...I'd like an alternative if anyone has any info we'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

You didn't give your location but I have plywood lining the walls inside of my henhouse. In 9 years of being full of chickens, guineas, turkeys ad peafowl I have never had a mite inside the building. It's not painted but paint would probably help to seal the walls if you are worried about it. ;)

You didn't give your location but I have plywood lining the walls inside of my henhouse. In 9 years of being full of chickens, guineas, turkeys ad peafowl I have never had a mite inside the building. It's not painted but paint would probably help to seal the walls if you are worried about it. ;)
Thanks Red Horse Ranch! I am in North Texas...not sure if its an issue around here, but I've read multiple forums and articles about how mites live in wood and once you get them its hard to get rid of them because they only come out at night. Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing...seems like everyone builds with wood...I think I'll just go for it. Thanks so much!

Since you are in north Tejas cold is not of much concern. I would think that a simple post and wood frame covered in metal would be very clean and much less expensive to build.

IMG_3758.JPG

Back
Top Bottom