Building materials?? Good deal?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ktmikal, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ktmikal

ktmikal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm trying to be thrifty building my first chicken coop. My dimensions are going to be 8 ft long 6ft wide and 8 ft tall. The champagne on a PBR budget here. I really have no idea building costs or quality of building materials, so I need help...pleeeeease. :)

I recently made a craigslist's purchase of vinyl siding to do the outside with ($50 delivered for about 350sq ft). It turns out that it's actually for soffits, but I think I can make it work.

The same guy will sell me 18 - 2x4x8s and 20 - 3/8"x4'x4' OSB siding pieces for $40 delivered to my house. Can someone tell me if this is a good deal?? I know I will need more lumber, but it seems like a good deal to little ole novice me.

I was thinking about using the OSB siding for the walls on the outside and then priming it before adding the siding. Would this work ok? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    thats not a bad price for the wood. u dont need to prime before u put the vinyl up but u would need to put a vapor barrier up first. (thin tarpaper will work)

3. ktmikal

ktmikal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks! That just made me remember that a house down the street is getting new siding (or something) and was just wrapped. Maybe they will have some excess!

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by