Building me a Breeding Pen (and lets see yours)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by falconertomt, Feb 25, 2014.

1. falconertomt

falconertomt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    I am in the process of finishing my first breeding pen, The individual huches are 12"x24" with a sloped floor. There are 16 pens in the rack. Here are some photos. The bottom set still needs to be completed.

Let me know what you think, and show off yours!

Front

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Very nice !!! What are you breeding?

3. falconertomt

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    I am planning on starting with coturnix, and then adding in some gambel's. Just waiting for the incubator to arrive, then off to find eggs.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Not bad. I would add some sort of tray below each cage to catch the droppings.

1 person likes this.
  5. falconertomt

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    Yeah, that is in the mix. I am thinking about putting in some sort of waste collection setup, to minimize hauling. I think I can rig up 1/2 a 3" pvc pipe with some connectors (similar to the feeding trays) that I can scrape the poo into, and then into a bucket at the end. Would make cleanup really quick.

I finished the bottom set last night. all that is left is the waste collection.

On other notes, the incubator came yesterday. I have to give a shout out to incubator warehouse, I ordered from them Saturday night, with the 3-6 day UPS, and I got the thing yesterday. They assembled it, and had it to my door in 1.5 business days.

Now for Eggs.... (and a brooder)

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Whatever you can do to make it as easy as possible to clean. I used to use a breeding cage but after a couple years the turd trays drove me insane.

7. falconertomt

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    That is the plan. The last time I had quail, trying to use trays drove me nuts as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by